• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2005 F150 FX4 violent shaking issues

This issue has happened to me twice and it is intermittent so I dont think bringing it in under warranty is going to work because they will want to be able to duplicate the issue, bla bla bla.

So, its a violent vibration that shakes the whole vehicle. Situation: Start truck, pull out of neighborhood, all fine, pull out onto highway up to 40-50 MPH and it start shaking violently. Its so bad you HAVE to slow down/stop. I pull over to side of road, stop, get out and look around, nothing visible wrong, get back it, drives fine for next two hours stop and go. Truck sits in garage over next couple days. Next time I go out it does the same thing, slow down and almost stop, wont go away, pull in to store to pick something up, come back out, problem gone. Any ideas? It doesnt look like any of the wheel weights have fallen off. Its definitely something with a rotating mass, but it goes away when I stop, so I am stumped.

Thanks

Can you feel it in the steering wheel or somewhere in particular? A worn or defective steering stabilizer shock can cause a severe shake in a vehicle that can be set off by simply hitting a pothole. Its worth a look.... but if you could please give us a bit more decription.

Moe, the 04-05 f150's have had many viberation issues. If you bring it in and explain to them exactly what is happening they should be able to take care of you. There are several TSB's for these concerns that should assist them in diagnosing the problem with a good description of how it reacts and when.

Yeah, its kind of hard to explain. Its not just the steering wheel shaking as I have had that happen before on diff vehicles. Its the whole truck shaking as if one of the wheels lost its weights and is WAY out of balance. It feels likes it coming from the front of the truck. When it starts to shake when I get up to speed, it will continue to shake violently until I come to a complete stop, even at 10mph its shaking bad. I have also had a out of balance at 60mph, this is way worse in my opinion. Just checking the lugs, they are tight. Truck has 20K miles on it.

I might just take it in for a rotate and balance and see if it goes away.

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
Moe, the 04-05 f150's have had many viberation issues. If you bring it in and explain to them exactly what is happening they should be able to take care of you. There are several TSB's for these concerns that should assist them in diagnosing the problem with a good description of how it reacts and when.

I've done that, brought it to north country ford. They said they wont spend the time unless they can duplicate the issue.

Originally Posted By: shackbash
Moe,

How many miles on the rig?

I dont remember hitting any major potholes either. The weird thing is that it goes away. If the tire was out of balance, is there any way it could go in and out of balance like I am experiencing?

Ya some shops dont want to get into it without being able to verify it. They could, if they really wanted to. Do you use your parking brake? The cables have been known to stcik intermittenly and cause a extreme shudder in the truck. The next time it happens feel the rear brake rotors and see if they seem very hot, becarefull not to burn yourself. If they feel very hot you may need new ebrake cables.

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
Ya some shops dont want to get into it without being able to verify it. They could, if they really wanted to. Do you use your parking brake? The cables have been known to stcik intermittenly and cause a extreme shudder in the truck. The next time it happens feel the rear brake rotors and see if they seem very hot, becarefull not to burn yourself. If they feel very hot you may need new ebrake cables.

Yeah, I do. Pull the boat, use the ebrake for parking. Good idea. I will feel them next time it happens. It would be a lot easier if it didnt come and go!

If I am thinking correct, that was the first year they put a rack in front for steering. Could be suspect!

Is the 3 years up yet?

Originally Posted By: shackbash
If I am thinking correct, that was the first year they put a rack in front for steering. Could be suspect!

Is the 3 years up yet?

No, but like I said. They arent very willing unless they can duplicate it. If I cant figure it out in a week, I will bring it in and let them deal with.

Ya, best off filling up the tank and dropping it off. Have the service advisor or Manager drive it each day until it happens. If this is something you have brought in a couple times before, I would really push for a free loaner car.

I am thinking it is something possibly from tires???? The front end's are very touchy in these thing's because of the rack and pinion. But, I have seen other thing also.

Shaking the whole truck is a possible drive line thing also. Once they feel it and figure out how to make it happen, they will figure it out.

Good luck..

Hey Moe, (I had to)

My 06' F-150 shook like crazy from the beginning. Took it in, they replaced the rear tires. They told me they had a bad batch of tires. Was fine for awhile, started shaking again this time it was the front tires. It has been good since. Keep in mind that box "floats" and will definitely magnify the problem. Mine is an XLT and came with Generals-cheap. Yours prolly has BFG's so I don't know if this applies to you or not. When they diagnosed mine, they said they put sensors on all four corners to tell where it was coming from- Shack is that true? is there such a thing or was I fed a line?

Yes, a noise/vib. harness (N.V.H.). It is true dude.

It is not the cure all, it it will help at times and NCF has one or two. It does not help to pin point, unless concern occurs though.

Moe,

It is hard to tell. Airjer took the words out of my mouth.

Could be an internal tire defect (I.E. cord issue, ply separation). I would have them look into the tires, but for me it is just a feeling.

When was the last time you rotated tires? Did you start to see this issue occur sometime after this? Have you rotated tires? Tire on this model can do weird things like you describe.

The biggest concern with tires on these were from the General tires, they would get flat spots after sitting a day, and would eventually work out after 20 miles or so. If it happen to be tires, I would think that by stopping for 10 minutes and going again, it wouldnt change. 04 was the first year with rack and pinion, not that it matters because the same concerns with the 04 were in the 05. I still think parking brake cables sticking. There is a TSB for it as well!

Well, im biting the bullet and bringing it in this morning(dont want it to do this with the boat on it crazy.gif). They are not generals but I will still suggest looking at the tires. I think ebrake might be the ticket.

I will let you know what, if anything, they find.

Wish I would have read this sooner, I am not sure were you are at. We have 5 steering and suspenion guys at our dealership. I am out for a couple more weeks after having back surgery and 1 of the other guys just had shoulder surgery 2 months ago. Anyway he is working parttime now shuttling customers. I guess what I am trying to say is if they can't figure out the problem where you took it to let me know. Our guy would have time to drive it and help you out. It does sound to me like a tire or front wheel end lock.(for the front axle) Also it is always good to get it in to have a record of having a problem before warranty runs out.