• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

warn 2.5 ci rebuild?

sparkyaber

I have an older 2.5 ci that was rebuilt once a while back, and done so poorly. I have had to open it up myself a few times and free the electric motor from rust. It is frozen up again, getting pretty annoyed with it. Is it worth it to pay someone to rebuild it? If not, what warn or others could I just bolt into place on my kawasaki prairie? everthing works on it just the winch is junk.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: SomethingFishy
Check out MotoAlliance in Rogers.

I agree. If I was to buy a cheaper winch, that's the one I would get.

If it was me, I would get a Warn XT.

On a Prairie, They are mounted quite low, and in the water & mud. If you really want to get something good, look into some of the options online for mounting it higher.

If you've already rebuilt it once I'd look into replacing it. I'm not so sure about the cheap winches, though. From everything I've read about them they are quite hit and miss. You could get one that works day in and day out or one that craps out the first time you're buried. Everyone I know that has one has had good luck with warn. If I needed to get a new one I'd get the XT30. It already comes with synthetic rope and wireless remote. The 3000lbs might not be necessary but if you've ever had your winch stop moving when you're buried you'd wish you had one bigger.

Thanks all, so the rebuild is out, now to decide to spend big money again on a warn, or cheap out and buy the viper winch. Will either of these two can I utilize the old wireing/contactor? How about the bolt patern? What are these mounts you speak of roofer? I did a quick search and did not find anything.

Don't quote me on it, but I think most of the mounts are the same. Warn mounts are used for many different winches. Look at Montanajacks for the other mounts. I'll warn you, it may be spendy.

I think the 2.5 came with the bigger (6guage, I think) wiring. The wiring should be fine, but I would change out the contactor. It will all come with the winch.

Good luck! Either one should work fine. I'm just biased to using higher end stuff when it comes to my atv. Motoalliance is known for their great customer service also.

Best price on a Warn or Ramsey will be atvoutfitters.

You can call up motoalliance but I'm pretty sure their sealed units use more of the warn mount than their previous style. I have the 2.5 ci as well and I think you can just buy a new rt25 unit and use all the old contactor and switch. I'd send an email to warn and find out for sure though. MJ's is a pretty expensive seller, try hsolist. I can't remember the name of the store off hand but they sell warn fairly cheap.

Warn doesn't make the 2.5 ci anymore as far as I know. They call it the rt25. I think the only difference in the rt25 and xt25 is the rope and the xt30 has the wireless remote.

The contactor may be the same as long as it's not a recalled one.

Between the 2.5ci and the newer winches there is a little difference. The RT and XT have the lifetime warranty and the have a mechanical brake in them. That is the reason I went with the 3.0s. It has the same specs and warranty as the new XT30.