• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lost my best buddy today

Ryan_V

No problem for the story it fills my heart to share it with people. I know that what you are going through is one of the tuffest things a person has to do in life. When we were picking up our new dog at christmas all I keep thinking is do we really want to set ourselves up for the heartbreak that we will have in 10-12 years. I have a poem that helped us get through it. I will ask my wife for a copy and post here for you. Keep your head high and your heart tough. Lindy

Here is the poem that helped my wife with loss of our dog and others that she has lost along the way.

RAINOW BRIDGE

JUST THIS SIDE OF HEAVEN IS A PLACE CALLED RAINBOW BRIDGE

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, our friends are warm and comfortable. All of the animals who had been ill or old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and time gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing, they miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Their bright eyes are intent; their eager body quivers. Suddenly, he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in a joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands once again caress his beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life, but never gone from your heart.

You then cross Rainbow Bridge, together!

In Loving memory of

I am so sorry! We have two Goldens which are our children. My wife and I have been married almost 7 years. We havn't had any human children yet. But two Goldens that are in no way to us any less valueable than real kids. I am so sorry again and I feel your pain!

Ryan,

I am so sorry! This time around reading your post it really hits home as I lost mine yesterday. Though not my hunting buddy still of my two dog kids. I loved him no less, and in some ways because of the limited time I had to be with him and teach him what a real like is like. It seems harder. What have you done in the last week to start the healing?

what i've found is that not much but time will help. I found that after a few days I was able to think about him and smile instead of cry. I have to see the spot I found his broken body and it pains me more than you know, but it gets better with time. I also decided what to do with his remains, which was a big step for me. I had him creamated, but beyone that I wasn't sure what to do with him until this week, and that helped a great deal as well.

Ryan,

Stay strong bud, although I know that it is easier said then done. I had to put my best bud down a year and a half ago and everytime I read one of these stories it makes me think of Remey and I cant help but tearing up a little bit. I inly had him for three years so I can only imagine your attachment to your dog. Have no regrets about the time you got to spend with him and hold on tight to those memories he'll be waiting for you. Here is my favorite picture of my sidekick/best buddy.

This is how I remember him, always smiling.

DSCF0054-1.jpg

Thanks for letting me tell my story, it always helps.

Dan