• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Large Munterlander

croixflats

Anyone have a Large Munsterlander if so how your evperiance.

Had a chocolate lab for 11 years took 4 years before i could think of getting another dog. couldnt get another lab It would feel like I betrayed the lab I had.

Researched differant breeds until I came accross The Large Munsterlander .Ive had her goig on 3.5 years love her to death.Shes not a replacement but another extnsion of our family .Never seen dog in the field better than this Munsterlander. And talk about loyal. I can go on and on about but Id Like to here from others who have a Large Munsterlander.

My Avetar is a picture of her.Lost all my hunting pictures of her when my old computer fried out

I've done a little research on them and found most everything I've read and heard to be very positive. I've wanted one for some time, but still went back to setters for no other reason than I did not want to wait for a breeding and available pups. I did have the oppurtunity to acquire a rescue of a one year old about a year ago, but with two setters already in the house I was thinking I'd loose control! I like them, from what little I know. Definitely in the group of "What am I gonna get next time"

Word is - hard headed dog....the Chessie of the versatile world. Amazing athletes. Long legs, powerful, great gun dogs...people who bred them are serious...if you buy one it'll hunt guaranteed.

If you like the looks I'd check out the German Longhaired Pointer...just a thought.

Originally Posted By: FrankGWP
Word is - hard headed dog....the Chessie of the versatile world. Amazing athletes. Long legs, powerful, great gun dogs...people who bred them are serious...if you buy one it'll hunt guaranteed.

If you like the looks I'd check out the German Longhaired Pointer...just a thought.

My experiance is pick up on things fast.And stick to you like a glove.

And the Large Munsterlander is a German Long hair ,its that they were bred to be only black and white and bred for for the versitility in witch there known for. Bred seperate from the Rest of the German Short Hairs. Long story why but what i comes down to the Kings and nobleman thought the tan and white versions had better hunting traits so they discarded the black and white ones to the peasants.And the peasants turned them into the ultimate versitile hunting dog. Kings and nobleman were wrong

the Large Munsterlander is considerd one the oldest huntingbreeds. Only to be introduced to the America's in the late 1960's

Originally Posted By: croixflats
 Originally Posted By: FrankGWP

My experiance is pick up on things fast.And stick to you like a glove.

And the Large Munsterlander is a German Long hair ,its that they were bred to be only black and white and bred for for the versitility in witch there known for. Bred seperate from the Rest of the German Short Hairs. Long story why but what i comes down to the Kings and nobleman thought the tan and white versions had better hunting traits so they discarded the black and white ones to the peasants.And the peasants turned them into the ultimate versitile hunting dog. Kings and nobleman were wrong

the Large Munsterlander is considerd one the oldest huntingbreeds. Only to be introduced to the America's in the late 1960's

I am not an expert on LMs....but I think that they are awesome.

Form what I know of German Longhair is a fairly new breed - like the GWP/DD - that came about roughly the last quarter of the 19th century [See http://www.dl-gna.org/ - http://germanlonghairs.org/]. I am also not as familiar with the genetic history of the long-tailed breeds, however I believe that a number of the rough-haired breeds such as the Spimone and the Stichelhaar date back many hundreds of years. Of course it is out of this hodge-podge of dogs that the modern day GWP was created and my guess is that the LM has a similar history of selective breeding from a variety of foundational breeds.

It is interesting to hear about the color being the reason for the "breeds" splitting up. The AKC severely punishes black GWPs in the show ring, but allows white. Accordingly you see very few black GWPs and a good number of white. Conversely, the DD registry allows black (w/ some breeding limitations based on genetic dominance, etc.), but does not favor white. So with DDs black dogs are common and white dogs are incredibly abnormal.

I'm glad that you are interested in a versatile breed. Please share your experience with the LMs. I love the V-Dogs.

FrankGwp thanks for the interest.

''Warning Ive rambled on Quite a bit here''

Its nice to see these separate clubs for breeds coming out. These clubs have more oversight and control on how the breed is to flourish. Clubs like the AkC now have gotten out of control some dogs you just don't know what the original breed used to be Their breeding them for the fad and their coming down with ailments they never had.

Boy Its hard to know where to start with my LM.

For starters ounce you pick up pup there is an almost immediate bond with him or her. From then on that dog wont leave your side.

she or he will always want to know where your at witch works great out in the field,always looking back and not getting out to far.

The breeder I got mine from had two, male and a female,

He was telling me they worked in tandem one would work close and the other would work further out and almost always in the same line. Mine varies, methodicly working short then going deep then working back. There is nothing like seeing a dog pick up a scent and working back to the source. To me its as good as bagging the bird.

they are gentile always look happy and content and are a great family dog. Gets along great with other dogs.

The tracking ability in this breed is unsurpassed I have not lost a bird yet. They will keep working until you call them off.

At first She had a bad habit of chasing the bird after a flush but I was able to break that think she learned that habit from chasing squirrels.

The sense of smell is great.Shell get a scent and gets curious and wants know where its coming from.

The LM will get restless if not exercised. If I'm gone for

work mine will let me know shes not happy by dragging my close out if there not put away or she'll take my insoles out my shoes.Only my stuff no one else's

Ive gone on rambling to much and i better stop here.