• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best wood mulch?

DrJ

Which wood chip mulch holds up the best. Cedar or cypress would last longer than pine chips I would think.The free chips I put down 2 years ago now are broken down to dirt like powder. I tried some rubber mulch and it works okay in a small area but way to much at $10/bag. Thank for any info DrJ.

You have to consider the price of the mulch vs. the loss of nitrogen as it decomposes. I have gotten stuff from a local tree trimmer and it's great for keeping down the weed. Problem is that the perenials turn yellow from a lack of nitrogen.

The colored stuff that is so popular makes me wonder where it comes from. I read an article about Mendards taking everything they can't sell and grinding it up and coloring it and selling it as mulch. Big deal when they were caught using the green treated stuff with arsenic in it.

I'd be cautious about the place I got it from, and probably would avoid it all together.;