• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Possible to check trolling motor sonar without a lake?

tigerbalm2424

I have a lowrance x25 and a minn kota AP 65 trolling motor with universal sonar. I am attempting to determine if the minn kota MKR-US-6 adapter cable will work with this depth finder (not on compatability chart).

Is there a way to test this without having to take it to the lake?

If you hook everything up, you should be able to feel or hear the transducer pulsating or making a clicking sound, although it's enclosed I would think you can still feel around and figure it out, you should also be able to pick up some sort of reading, even though your not in any water, your screen if the transducer is functioning should be giving a reading back across the screen, probably not depth but a bottem readout. Good Luck

Possible I guess, I've never tried it. I don't know if you'll get your trolling motor to fit in a five gallon pail. Actually if your transducer is mounted on the interior of the trolling motor unit, it's probably siliconed in and shouldn't require water to shoot a depth. Similar to an in hull mount on fiberglass boats. Maybe raise the trolling motor up a few feet and see if that gives you a dpeth reading. If it's not mounted on the interior and you physically see the transducer, just feel or listen you will hear it pulsating.

I don't know if a 5 gal bucket will work, but as Bigeye said you can easily hear or feel the clicking. My owners manual warns that if you hold your hand on there too long you may experience some pain and maybe even mild tissue damage. The sound or feel will let you know if it's working. You will need to go out on a lake to see if it works well.

If you're a few feet above the floor, you should get a return signal. Since air is less dense than water, it won't be correct but it should show a reading. You might have to be pretty straight above the floor. You can also run your hand between the floor and the transducer and get a suspended reading.

Originally Posted By: Cicada
If you're a few feet above the floor, you should get a return signal. Since air is less dense than water, it won't be correct but it should show a reading. You might have to be pretty straight above the floor. You can also run your hand between the floor and the transducer and get a suspended reading.

I'll give it a try!