• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

marine plywood

LOGBUILDER

Curiosity is getting the best of me here and I would like to learn what it actually does to aluminum for future preventive maintenance. Have used treated plywood older and newer wood on aluminum jon and v bottom duck boat floors. Most have had alot of camo paint covering the floors, does that make a difference? Haven't seen issue one with any kind of corosion on the aluminum of any of the duck boats we've used over the years.

Not saying it doesn't happen but would like to know what it does to the aluminum? Very curious being I just a week ago replaced a piece in the floor of my pro v 2025.

Most building inspectors have a sample of aluminum siding that was in contact with ACQ treated lumber. The pieces I have seen. about 3/8ths of an inch is gone. The siding is probably lower grade than in a boat but aluminum is aluminum.

If it is painted or sealed on the side in contact with the stingers it will not react with the aluminum until it wears thruogh the paint at contact points. The amount of flexing and the vibration from choppy water and trailering on rough roads a boat is exposed to I don't think it would take very long.

The damage the ACQ does would be under the floor on the contact points with stringers and braces, not someplace you would easily see.

Any plywood over 5 years old is most likely CCA and safe for use with aluminum. If the treated wood is less than 5 years, the aluminum is chemicaly reacting with the ACQ.