• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sparrow central (no pics)

mcary

I've been spending this snowy day typing, but have occasionally peaked out the window toward the feeders. The sparrows seem to be the only birds uninhibited by the snow. I have counted four different species hopping around my feeder set up. We've had a couple of fox sparrows, a song sparrow, three chipping sparrows, and a couple of white-throated sparrows with probably 12-16 individuals in all.

Same up here, Michael. Same four species, and all those that have been ignoring the feeders all winter are making up for it. We had both cardinals today as well as tons of juncos and redpolls. Some goldfinches turning yellow and a few starlings have rounded out the cast of characters. Nothing like a spring snowstorm to bring in those birds!

It's nice to see the increase in numbers. I just did a count and we had no less than 10 fox sparrows hopping around. I'm still waiting for other species. I haven't seen much other than the sparrows, juncos, chickadees and an occasional RBH and house finch. We have a couple of flickers in the neighborhood, but I sure wouldn't mind a couple of cardinals or other more colorful varieties.

Thats what we have been doing today as well. Same species, same numbers. We have a row of cedar tree and they have been busy "scratching" and forageing. I've snapped several pictures. Sorry about the quality but have a look at "Santa" the cardinal.

IMG_1082.jpg

Well, yesterday's snow (we've got about five inches on the ground) really concentrated the birds in our yard.

At any given moment we have about 300 birds taking black oil sunflower off a large tray feeder and a combo of cracked corn and millet (sparrow/junco heaven) on the ground.

So far, in the last two days after a winter-long drought at the feeders, the storm has brought to our yard white-throated sparrows, song sparrows, chipping sparrows, American tree sparrows, fox sparrows, American goldfinches, starlings, dark-eyed juncos, cardinals, robins, common and hoary redpolls, rusty blackbirds and red-winged blackbirds. And of course a merlin has crashed the party a few times. Small numbers of some of these species were here already before the storm.