• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crab grass preventer

Scott K

I threw down some grass seed last fall, before a snow fall. I want to treat crab grass also. My question is if I put something down for the crab grass, will it wipe out the grass seed I threw down last fall? What should I use, I want something to prevent crabgrass and something to fertilize the grass, is there a combo type mix?

Most of the commercial grade crabgrass preventers at the hardware stores, big box stores, other suppliers are going to be a crabgrass / fertilizer combo.

The issue is going to be that yes, it will affect the germination of the new seed.

You'll have to wait 8+ weeks before you can seed again.

My suggestion would be, if you've never had a crabgrass problem in the past, that you skip the preventer this year since you already threw down the seed, and then just apply the preventer next year.

Most products say you need to have mowed the grass 3-4 times before you use the preventer on it.

I havent prevented it for about 3 years, it was starting to get bad around the driveway and sidewalks. I wanted to do something before it got spread throughout the yard. I noticed alot of the fresh grass seed has already sprout in my yard, would it kill that if I applied it?

I would wait to apply crabgrass preventer with the exception of maybe trying the new scotts starter fertilizer with crabgrass preventer.

If it was me, I would consider putting down an application of fertilizer down over the areas you seeded and really push the grass to fill in. You may be able to get enough grass to choke out any crabgrass starts.

It depends on what you use for crabgrass preventer.

The product I use, has Dimension in it, so it's controls crabgrass (and grasses) that are already starting to germinate up to 3", so it has some slight post emergence to it.

Find the prodcut that you are planning on using, and read the label.

If you've got the seeded part in just one area of the lawn, you could do most of the yard with a preventer, and then use regular fertilizer over the seeded part.

Quote:
If you've got the seeded part in just one area of the lawn, you could do most of the yard with a preventer, and then use regular fertilizer over the seeded part.

Thanks! This is what I did yesterday. I kipped over the places I planted seed, then applied fertilzer there.

That SHOULD work, however I've had it where I still couldn't get the patched areas to grow grass after I spread preventer on the property, and this area was in a fenced in area that I wasn't close to.

Anyways, if you don't get good growth out of the seed, you can work with it again come mid-June through the rest of the summer.