• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help

I would not be considered a photographer, but have a question for some of you who obviously are. First off, thank-you for all of the wonderful pictures, checking this site is one of my daily chores! Keep up the good work!

My question is what camera would you recommend for just an all around digital camera. We have an old Cannon and it just doesn't cut it. Just looking for one that would fit in my wifes purse and take some quality pictures. Any thoughts on the Sureshots, etc? And what about megapixels and zoom?

Thank-you.

You might want to check out this thread posted below, it has some good reccommendations. My point and shoot that I carry is a simply 8 megapixel Hewlett Packard camera that cost 8 dollars. I takes good pictures, but the zoom is limited to 3X. Sometimes I think I get better landscape pictures with it then with my Canon XT.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1370603#Post1370603

Not sure what old Canon you have, but to stick with the Canon them for familiarity; I woud sugest a couple. The Canon A720 IS and the Canon S5 IS. Both are 8 megapixel, both have macro and movie capabilities. The A720 IS is a 6X zoom, 32 to 105mm equivalent if I remember correctly. Easily able to be put into a purse.

more bulky, but worth a look. The S5 IS is 12x zoom, 36mm to 432mm equivalent. You can purchase the adapting hood for a close up lens, (500D, circular polarizing filter, and a 1.5x teleconverter to bring you to 648mm. this has a supermacro feature and the video is stereo sound, quite impressive for a point and shoot camera. Actually this S5 is considered a superzoom, it lies inbetween the point and shoot cams and the digital SLR cams.