• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winterizing E-tec tiller

Minnesota Fats

I know it's spring... but I'm reading the winterizing section in my e-tec manual (60 hp tiller). Near as I can tell, there is no fast idle button anywhere on my motor, but it says that in order to start the winterizing sequence, you have to push this button. Anyone have a tiller that can help me out?

This may help, this may not. I do my own winterizing. I start off by changing the LU oil, add a 2(two) 1pt can of seafoam per gallon of gas, attach water hose to motor, start and run motor at 1500-1600rpm for 5-7 minutes, shut off motor, let cool, disconnect tether kill switch(so motor won't start) or if motor don't have one remove plug wires, remove plugs from each cylinder, spray fogging oil in each sylinder for 6-7 seconds, install plugs(leave plug wires off), crank motor for 15 sec. Whatever else you want to check or change, do it also. Done. In the spring, add 1pt of seafoam per gallon(even if tank is full), start motor(it will smoke, it's burning off the fogging oil), run around lake. At the end of the day, change to new plug if dirty.

E-tec winterize fog the cylinders automatically when the correct throttle sequence is used.

How old is your etec? From what I understand most of them are activated now with a throttle sequence:

Step 1: Press fast idle button, advance throttle handle to HALF throttle position. Start the outboard. Outboard should run at normal idle speed.

Step 2. After outboard runs for about 15 seconds, return throttle handle to IDLE position. Engine continues to run at slow idle speed.

Step 3. After outboard runs for another 15 seconds, advance throttle handle to HALF throttle position. Outboard rpm will increase from 1200 to 2000 rpm depending on model, and “fog” itself. This rpm level is desired, to properly distribute oil for long term storage.

Step 4. Allow outboard to run until it shuts itself OFF automatically (about one minute). Process is complete when outboard shuts itself off.

If you're sure you have the button, look under the cowl on the lh side of the engine - I think that's where they were when they had them.

marine_man

Thanks - my problem is that I can't find that button. It might not matter though; what I need to know is whether the fast idle button that would normally be on the remote control binnacle is actually part of the automatic winterizing sequence or are they just telling you to use it to advance the throttle while in neutral so the prop doesn't spin during the sequence. If so, it wouldn't apply to a tiller since you control the throttle with the twist grip, separate from the shift lever.