• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tree Starts

Tinkhamtown

Has anyone cut tree starts from fast growing hybrid poplar or willow trees? Can I just stick the tree starts into the ground around the edge of a swamp and expect them to grow? What other trees can be started from starts? Thanks you.

Tink,

You can certainly try that. I've found through 10 years of planting and many lost trees that a nursery is by far the best place to get your trees and have success growing them. Even with hybrid poplar or willow.

That said, with what you're thinking of doing, The % of success may not be that great or even at all, but if 5 out of 20 make it you'd be doing great for little effort or cost.

Some things I've learned:

When planting the cutting, first use your spade to scalp off a patch of grass about the size of your spade. This will expose the soil and create a watering hole if you choose to water the tree later. It would also be good to loosen the soil a bit so the roots can grow more easily. Actually planting the tree is better than just sticking it in the ground, because it helps get the soil packed tightly around the cutting, which is important. Make sure to have the buds pointing up and try to clip the cuttings off just above a nice bud.

Maybe put some in higher ground, some in middle ground, and some lower toward the swamp. They may do better in a particular area. If some do actually sprout and you really want to keep them alive, expect to be watering a minimum of a 2 gallons per tree at least once per week if not twice during July and August, or they will probably not make it. The last 2 dry summers have been extremely hard on trees in my area. Dry roots=Dead trees.