• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finding Crappies...

mnfisher22

Dark bottomed bays warm quicker, and north shores warm faster than south shores. Also look for shallow areas adjacent to deep holes. The crappies will move out of the holes into the warm water during the day, and then back at night. Even a degree or two difference is all it takes to move them into the warmer water.

It's all about food once the ice comes off, find the forage, find the fish. This early in the year I'm not sure what they would be chasing around, some type of early emerging larva maybe? Otherwise any small minnows/baitfish they can find.

Mud and north bays are a good start, but everyone knows those spots. I like to find any patches of mud that are on shallow sand on gravel. Also newly emergent weeds will hold crappies.

One of my favorite places to fish for spring crappies though, is off the first break, on any kind of flat. It helps if that break is going up to a shallow bay or weed bed. I have found that crappies is shallow water are very activly feeding, but are also sporadic and sometimes hard to find. Usually the fish that are staging off the break are easier to locate and will provide more consitant action, as well as a longer time frame to catch them. These fish are usually suspended at about the same depth that the flat they are holding off of is.

Shallow water I will use a jig and twister tail or paddle tail, usually fan casted or beneath a bobber, cast it out and twitch it back. Bettle Spin type lures and small cranks have there place and time as well.

Over deeper water I will drift a small hair jig and a crappie minnow, usually using the trolling motor and drift sock to hover slowly over schools of fish or baitfish that I pick up on the depth finder.

Water temp plays a huge roll this time of year. Warm water with an influx of oxygen is going to be your prime spot on the lake. Looks for shallower, darker areas where you know the water warms up the fastest. Back lagoons, creeks, channels, cuts... these are all areas to seek out immediately after ice-out. Also look for areas where creeks run into a lake, as those areas will bring in fresh nutrients and you bet you'll find slabs and gills there...