• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage Ceiling Insulation

311Hemi

Currently in the process of insulating my buddies garage. The ceiling is all framed in (had to make it 24 OC). We have the venting all set up an now we are ready to insulate. The garage is 22'x36'.

Will R19 work, or do we need R38? It will not be heated 24x7, but only when needed. The R19 would be a much better fit thickness wise as we installed some attic ladders to store stuff up there. Ceiling joices are 2.6's.

Well by adequate,what do ya mean? You can heat a garage with no insulation,you'll have heat loss & 90% will be through ceiling,with R-19 you'll yet lose heat,R-38 is tested for max heat retention.supposedly going over 38 provides no extra retention other that self satisfaction.But `19 will keep more heat from escaping than none.

I put 6 inches thick of paper faced fiberglass in the ceiling of my cabin last year, with plans to blow cellulose on top of that. With just the friction stuff it worked Ok for the air conditioner in the summer, but was not nearly enough for cold winter days. It will work if you only heat the space while you're actually in there, but if you want to heat it more than that either put in R38 right away, or put in your R19 and plan to add more on top. Insulation is one of those things you can never have too much of.

I agree, R19 will be fine.

If you planned on storing things in the attic you should have used at least 2x6's though for the framing. How is the framing done? I'm not quite sure I understand.

We are going to go with the R19, can always add more if needed at a later time.

The garage was rafters that were 48" OC (2x6's). We added additional 2x6 beams (and supported them) so the ceiling is now 24" OC. Thats what I meant by additional framing. Don't know all the correct terminology...I'm a computer guy by day!! LOL

We installed a couple attic ladders, so there is access to store things.