• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old dog new tricks?

Neighbor_guy

I have a 4 year old yellow lab that is not much of a hunter. Fairly sure she is a bit gun shy as well. I got her about 8 months ago and have hunted her once. We never got on birds, but she followed the other dogs and looked like she was learning from them.

My question is; Where do I start. I have been working on her on disapline and the like. And exposing her to the gun as well. But I want her to be able to hunt. Can I still teach this dog to be a gun dog? Or has the moment passed?

Sure you can. Lots more patience, lots more repetition. You'll aso have to 'undo' any bad behaviors before teaching her what you want. Go slow, make it fun, get her excited to see guns and birds ( get her on lots of birds... live and or frozen) and she'll coe around.

Have fun!

Good Luck!

Ken

If the dog has any hunting insticts and you can break it of gun shyness it shouldnt be a problem... It will be a little more difficult then a young dog, but completely possible. I went to a dog training class and these people had a 12 year old dog that by the end of the class had definately learned basic obedience.

I would be looking to teach her to hunt mainly upland game birds. Ducks and Geese dont do much for me, But anytime I can go for a walk and work a dog is a good day. If I get at it mabe she will be ready by fall.