• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shimano question for Dietz

bassin

I have an older style curado thats the low gear ratio, I believe its 3:8:1??? I don't use it and all the rest of my reels are 201's. Can I purchase gears for the 201 and convert the lower gear model into a 201? Its the same size as the 201 but I don't remember the model number.

Not Deitz, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but.... \:\)

I know for a fact that you can purchase 3.8:1 and 5:1 gears for a older green Curado and swap them out. So assumably you can get the 6.3:1 gears to swap into the 3.8:1 as well.

I "think" this is what you were asking, but your question is a little unclear. You can't convert a 200 to a 201 if that is what you were asking. \:\)

I am an auto mechanic by trade so It may just seem simple to me

but they can be a little intimidating at first but after a couple times there gravy

Ive seen the inside of so many curados I could put one together if you brought it to me in Pieces

fortunately you would probally need a pinion gear,and drive gear Im guessing that the level wind speed is different so the worm gear and all would likley need to be changed. likley the drag washers also,

looking at the schematic the only diffrence in part numbers are of the parts indicated above

But as Deitz said I would contact shimano and make sure its evan possible before considering it. but as far as I can tell you should be able to

you would already have about $35 in parts + shipping.

Ask your self are you better investing $35 in a new one.

Buying a new one really isnt an option since they don't make them anymore. All my reels are the exact same and all my rods are the same company.I like everything feeling similar and I like the reel feeling the same wether I'm throwing a crankbait or a jig. The low gear reel I have is brand new. I just don't like the low gears and never use it. I can make myself reel slower if needed,and you can only reel so fast with that one. Plus I added another rod and need another reel.

I just heard back from Shimano and they gave me a list of all the parts I would need. With shipping the total would be $24.15. Not bad...

If anyone is interested the parts are BNT1325,1587,1212,1211 and 1501.

ok, so after further review of the schematics the parts listed don't make sense....3 of them are not listed and the other doesnt make sense at all.

I realize it is no longer made but I was stating you may be farther ahead investing it in a replacment reel in general

but hey if its a fairly new reel and all it will cost is 25 bucks I guess I would keep it and switch it over too!!

I will have my buddy who does reel repair and cleaning look at your question. He can take apart and put back together a Curado in the dark. He has replaced gears in several reels. My first thought is it should be a piece of cake, and certainly cheaper than a new reel.

ok...got it all figured out now. To convert a 201b38 to a 201 you need three parts. 1514,1518,and 1519.

The first response I got from Shimano was via email and he must not have understood my question. Talked to a guy directly this time and hooked me up. $20 this time with shipping.

The reel I am converting literally is brand new. I made about 2 casts with it before and couldnt stand how slow it was. Actually I didnt mind the slow retrieve but trying to keep up with a surging bass....no good.