• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing boat steering console - Alumacraft 165 CS

My 2002 Alumacraft Navigator 165 CS has a cracked console housing. What's involved in replacing the housing?

I bought a new one from the factory and there are no holes or cut-outs for the gage panel assembly. Other then the obvious cut-outs needed, what else should I be aware of? Is it difficult to deal with the steering wheel removal and reassembly?

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

I did this on a Magnum 165 CS. My dash had a large cutout for the gauge insert panel which laid over top and then was screwed to the dash. I left all the gauges attached to that panel and removed that first as one complete unit. You'll have to make note of the wiring to make sure you get them back in the same place again. It looks like a lot but it isn't that bad if you take your time.

You'll probably need a puller to get the steering wheel off after removing the retaining nut. It's a tapered shaft and is stuck on pretty good, or at least mine was.

After test fitting the new dash, mark the spots for the screws to hold it to the console and then drill them out. The part that made me nervous was drilling the holes in the dash to mount the windshield, but measure twice, cut once and it worked out fine.

Where did your console crack? After you get the old dash off, take a look at the bracing in the corner just above where your right knee would be when driving. Mine was broke which led to the cracked dash. I reinforced it while I had the dash off and it was rock solid when I was done. Better than when it left the factory.

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
You'll probably need a puller to get the steering wheel off after removing the retaining nut. It's a tapered shaft and is stuck on pretty good, or at least mine was.

You can try this method:

Centering Steering Wheel to get the steering wheel off.

If that doesn't work you'll need a puller.

marine_man

Good luck and take your time. It's not too difficult if you check everything you do and try to remember how it all goes back together such as the wiring, etc.

Thinking back, I believe I did the trick of backing off the steering wheel nut until it's flush with the shaft and then using a hammer/mallet to pop the wheel off while pulling back on it. Took a couple of pops before it let loose.

I asked before, but I'm curious where your other dash cracked?

The dash is cracked in several places. It just didn't hold up. No stain points, just a faulty part I think. The cracks are only in the top layer, not the base.

This boat has had very little use. It should not have cracked that way. Maybe it was caused by heat buildup under the cover since it came from Arkansas.