• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dilemma?

eric29

I have a dilemma and was wondering what you guys would do. My fiances sister just broke up with her boyfriend. They bought a house together and put both of their names on the title and loan. Shes only 19 by the way. They also have 3 dogs, none of which are hunting dogs. But anyway he got to keep the house but has been "abusing" the dogs.(she says) Not letting them out of the kennel for days at a time and letting them drink beer.

These dogs have absolutly no obediance or house training. If they have an accident in the house they get told naughty and a finger pointed at them.

I said that it would be ok if she wanted to stay in my house for a while but now she wants to bring atleast one dogs here too. I said that i was not ok with that. I already have two labs to take care of and she wants me to take care of hers while shes at work-i dont think so. I think its rude to impose a dog on somebody elses house that is not house trained. And not to mention these dogs run away with any chance they get and i dont need that burden on my shoulders.

Any way my fiances not talking to me now(i know that will pass with time) but did i make the right choice.

Hard to say. It is hard not to take care of a dog that is being abused (supposedly), but it us also hard to want a dog in you house that you know will cause some damage. I would say stick to your guns, if that is how you feel. I would be even harder to get the dog out of the house once it is there, or it will cause more arguments because of the damage it is causing. Good Luck. grin.gif

Tough one. First, do you own your home? Any chance the dog can be outside locked up?

However, if she wants to have one dog with her then what she should do is get a job and an acceptable apartment. Once she gets that then take the dog. I do not blame you one bit.

You do not know if the dogs are being abused - that could be sour grapes; just agree and say that's terrible, but nothing I can do.

She moves in - who is going to pay vet bills and food?

Yeah i got a house that it could be outside but the only problem would be is that it never shuts up. When it stayed here last week with her i couldnt even sleep in my own bed, i had to go down to the living room where i couldnt hear it bc it barked for at least 3-4 hours.

I dunno... if you take the dog you're probably going to have to get a license from the city to have 3 or more animals; most cities have such an ordinance. Then if you take 1 dog what's to say she isn't going to want to move the other 2 in also...

All I can say for sure is set a date for how long she can stay. 2 weeks would be recommended; I would not go longer than 3 weeks. She's not staying with you to move in, she's only staying with you long enough to figure something out on her own. Since it would only be a couple weeks, she can just wait to take the dog.

I know someone who was going to let her sister and her sisters husband move in for 3-4 months and they have been there for almost 2 years now...

Set a date, 2-3 weeks tops, don't give her any "duties" or anything like that, and don't charge any type of rent or something silly like that. Just give her a place to stay while she gets herself back on her feet and remind her about how long she can stay multiple times if you have to. \:\)

Hopefully your fiance will understand and agree that you don't want to live with her sister, only help her out until she can find a place of her own.

cure all. let her bring it over and when she's at work take it to a nearby town to humane society and say you found it running nearby. tell her it ran off. mean hearted, yes, but it keeps you out of dog house. probably not bad for dog either. my 2 cents.

Looking at this from a female perspective, let me ask if you just put your foot down, or if you discussed your reasons for not wanted the dog in the house. My girls hate it when there is no discussion about the subject, just a ruling.

If she is set on bringing one of the dogs with her, I would put conditions on it - like obedience lessons, or a boarding kennel. Are there facilities that do both? She is going to have to find a permanent place that will accept dogs, since most apartment buildings do not allow them.

Have a sit down with both your fiancee and her sister, and talk it out. She may come to the conclusion on her own that the dog would be better off with another family.