• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flu-Flu's

mr_jman

I just saw these at Gander despite just about ALL the other ice fishing stuff being taken off the walls. I ended up buying 2 packs - white head/orange "tail" and white head/yellow "tail". I tried using one with no luck yet but I'm wondering if anybody else had used them ice fishing or summer fishing and have had success with them. Any color combinations that work well? - Are these more of a summer jig or will they catch me some crappies yet this winter?

I haven't used them for ice fishing, but have used them in summer and they work great. We even used pink ones and caught limits of walleyes bobber fishing just off the edge of the weedline in the middle of the day!

One of my favorites year round. I love hair and feather jigs. My most productive time with Flu Flu jigs is right after ice out. I put a 1" powerbait grub on it, and cast it out and slowly swim them back to the boat. A little subtle jig action during the retrieve will open your eyes. I think this year, after picking up some of the powerbait realistix minnows, I will throw one of them on the back of it for early season.

As for colors, I have a wide assortment, but my favorites are white/pink, white/red, chartreuse/green, chart./orange, and orange/brown. White/pink is always a crappie killer, and certainly one you should look for next time you stop in Gander.

Another way to fish them is under a float, early season you should be able to use a stick float as you will be fishing shallow water. If you cast out your float and flu flu combo, you can give the jig a sweet swimming motion under the float if you work at it. Once you have that mastered, if you don't catch a fish on every cast, you need to move and find the fish cause they wont be able to resist it.

I forgot to mention how I use them on ice. For ice fishing, I always fish plastic, pretty much the same as summer. The difference for ice fishing is Little Atom plastics. A noodle cut in half and threaded on the hook to hang off the back is killer. I like the micro nuggies too. On a recent trip perchin, I figured out a new way to hook the nuggies that helped put my avatar perch on the ice. I hooked the nuggie through the ball, but I hooked it so the hook came in the head slightly off center, and popped out just outside the tail, straight down the shank of the plastic, so when I slid it up, the tail was riding right under the shank of the hook. It is a beautiful thing.

The nuggies will give you a bigger profile and make it look bulkier, and a noodle will look more slender and sleek. I am a firm believer in the Little Atoms for ice fishing, haven't had a chance to fish them open water yet as I was just turned on to them this fall.

Polars,

You start with the color of white/pink, white/pink jigs are great for pan fish. They have been the best colors for me for years. For crappies they are the best, that is what I always start with and they seem to almost always work. What is it about this color combo that makes white/pint so good? This color combo has always worked at my "home" lake up north and this color combo has wroked great in some of the metro lakes for some big crappies. Is this what you have found as well? I like the jigs that are 1/32 with a pink head and rubber body with a hair or feather tail. What is it about these jigs? I also use pink and white flu flu's for sunnies in the spring and they work great. Do they work good for you in most lakes as well??

i wanna try some flu flu after ice out what size usually is good for crappies and sunnies and what colors are your favorite and what do you usually tip a flu flu tip it with because i have never tried these flu flus and want to try them out

thanks

zach

Zach, like I and others have posted, white/pink is the first one tied on the line. A 1/16th oz size works well for me in the spring, because you can work it with enough speed to effectively fish them, but also not too heavy that you wreck the finesse action you get with these type baits. I will tip mine with a 1" Berkley Powergrub before anything else. My buddy and I had very good luck with a green/chartruese flake grub. Another good option that I can't wait to try on open water is the Gulp! Fish Fry. The flavor coming off of them is going to drive the crappies wild.

I think they will have a white head, and white and pink feathers. You can cast and bring them back in slowly jigging them, or you can throw them out under a float, but in this situation, a slip float is not the right way to go. In the early spring, use them in the shallows, set about 12" below the surface and if you work at it, you can get a swimming motion down with the rod tip twitching and pulling the float.

Towards mid summer, as the fish move to deeper water, slip floats work pretty well.

Can't wait to pick up the white/pink Flu-Flu! although today anything I threw down the hole seemed to catch me perch. Had a great day and caught a limit!

I also agree with the Atoms plastics as I was using these with a good amount of success today. Minnows were still the prime ticket but it was fun to work the plastics on a Ju-Ju and see the perch hit!

Really anxious to try the white/pink combo for some crappies!

I always use a certain hair jig a certain someone makes in the McGregor/Aitkin area w/o bait and have great success but I have only used them ice fishing and can't wait to try them out open water. I did very well on Tonka Saturday night after the lights went out using an 1/80th oz. chartreuse/white hair with a glow head.

I love the fluflu works awsome all times of year for pannies. I generally tie my own flies or jigs that way i can have what varations of color and hair or feathers i want. The experience of fine tuneing your lures to perfection to get your limit is priceless in my mind. Good luck out there and be safe on the spring ice.

i tend to use flu flu's more in the summer time. They're sapose to look like a tinny minnow in the water, but most people just tip them with waxies or crawlers, For the dirt watered lakes you should be fishing with multi colored flu flu's....They tend to work better. For clear bodies of water I use more single colored flu flu's........hope all of this info helps you : )