• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to MN, All advice greatly appreciated!!

bigbee13

Hi Bigbee13 and welcome to Fishing(in)Minnesota !!!

I'm just 20 minutes north of you. Been fishing a lot from age 4 to now 47.

The St. Croix River is an incredible fishery that doesn't get much pressure. There's some Cats of all sizes, but you really never know what you're gonna pull up......

It's got most every species of fish around in there.

Last night I pulled up a 15 1/4" Crappie (w/2 FM'ers there & a cell phone picture to prove it). See the St. Croix thread...

Anyway, this is the year I am going to fish Catfish A LOT more as I usually target Walleye.

If you want to get together for coffee sometime & discuss places and go over a river map, let me know!!!

I am always looking to bring along others on fishing trips and would like to get you and whoever else out sometime.

Talk to you later,

FFaL

I never got into any number like the Minnesota river guys, A typical night would be one or two around midnight and maybe one coming in on the return trip around 5am. Never had a five fish night. I spent many fishless nights in the early years. Then I picked up the pattern. Fishless nights were more common in August, October was the best. I know if I had moved off the hole and chased them up on the feeding flats I might have picked up a few more. The downfall of my rig was getting anchored and once set I didn't like to move if I was going to come back at 5am.

Nothing worth doing is easy. I've had to dive down to pull fish free from snags, get towed in with dead engine, and the bugs, but the hardest was navagating in the fog. The Croix in the fall fills bluff to bluff with fog. I didn't have radar or GPS and that rig drafted 3 feet. I had to watch the sounder and time mph. So after all the effort to get the perfect rig over the perfect hole. The easiest part of it all is getting the fish to bite.

If you are a true catman and humped into a backwater hole in the middle of the night, I know you have experienced the sense of satisfaction(you name the feeling)of the moment all the rods are out and you get to sit back and just watch. When I say easy- that's the big easy I'm talking about.

I think all of us can shape the policy for protecting this resource. Input from the bank guys means as much as commercial fisherman. I think a forum like this is the perfect place to toss out ideas of how best to regulate this under utilized but fantastic fishery. You know were talking about it way more than anybody on the capitol floor. Hans

hanso612,

I am sorry, I thought you where talking about targeting the winter flat holes during this time of year or any winter months. I would tend not to think they stack up that way (I would love to believe it though) during the spring, summer and fall months.

I have heard the stories, Hanson provided the proof (video footage) that they stack up in this manor during cold months and to “snag or jig” for them during this time ranks right up their with shinning deer. Even in a catch and release type situation, I can not figure this would be to good for the fish’s health after the release.

Yes, if I came about on a wintering flat hanging out, I would record the spot and keep it on my list for warm water fishing.

That is a nice fish you caught. I am glad to hear it was released. Nice boat/ship also.

I always like to keep an open mind to new idea’s, so I take nothing with a grain of salt grin.gif.

Welcome aboard to one of the greatest cat fish forum's I know of.

During the spring flatheads are still lethargic from the winter. In the summer half the fish,the males are gaurding eggs So that leaves fall. I've compared this type of fishing as more like trapping. Trappers have rules against placing traps next to dens so it wouldn't seem outragous to me to find someone thinking it is an unfair advantage. There are many of these holes on most stretches of the three big rivers. I bet it holds on the red too but I have never fished it(want to). Most of the good ones are guarded secrets. Hans

bigbee13, Welcome to Hot Spot Outdoors and Fishing Minnesota.

I appologize for the thread going every which way.

There is a ton of knowledge here with guys that have been fishing for a real long time. Please feel free to start a new post with any specific questions you run across on your quest for big fish here in MN.

Ya, bigbee.

Welcome to FM..

Late season last year, I started to fish the Croix for flats and got a couple smaller ones. Also got some sturgies.

I plan to make this year a Croix year for flats.

I love the two pole rule and the state record flat was caught out of the Croix (pretty much). What better than the Croix (or south). Not to many guys in this forum support the idea for fishing the Croix for big fish grin.gif (just do not fish it, is more like it, othen than sturgies grin.gif) and I would like to get a monster spring time flat from the Croix in spring.. Take the knowledge from this forum and expand it out. It is one of my goals.

Again, welcome.

Thank you all for the posts and information. I see I have some work to do, to get ready for this season. I will have to get new stuff as what I have now will work for some light fishing however not for going after the cats.

UncleKes and FFaL, thanks for the offers and we will have to get together for coffee.

I will be 39 next month, been married for 13 years and I am a Firefighter: My wife is used to me running off for many hours at a time and coming home all stinky!!

I look forward to learning a lot and catching some BIG fish, well bigger than what I am used too anyways.

Thanks again

Brian