• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heading out for one last hoorah this winter. takin my father and younger brother for a little glacial lakes fishing. i will probably call doug at the sportsmans cove and ask for the reports. n if he has no word i will try the old standbys on waubay and pickerel. gonna bring the four-wheelers bc the weather looks great. gonna trye for a bit of everything. perch, walleye, crappie, sunfish, northern. its sure to be a good time. however i wanna find a good bite somewhere for nothern so i can put the little brother on something that will put up a good fight :). although if the jumbo perch are on they work just as well. if you wanna help a guy out please post a tip. n for you guys who live and die by the philosophy "loose lips sinks ships" you could send me a message to. dont worry ur secrets safe with me grin.gif. good luck fishing this weekend folks.

if it Hits the Bait, it Hits the Plate!

I couldn't tell you what part to go on the lake...but I can tell you that the fish are biting up there. There is a bait shop in sioux falls that has a online forum and fishing report for local lakes...i would give that a try if you are trying to pin down a location. Hope this helps

actually they're not really biting that well up here. Has been a poor winter on average for the most part. Some sloughs (private and public) have been decent and a few guys find fish on the main lakes but it's not like the good ol' days. I think that is why most area guys including myself won't post on the net what is happening. Pressure has gotten out of hand.

Call Doug, he'll be honest and will tell you the same thing I did. If your willing to move around and maybe fish 2-3 different lakes a day you may find fish. Never know you could hit a hot spot first try.

Verg...not intending an argument but come on! U wanna see pressure come to minnesota!! I was in ur area a couple times this winter and notice I reported nothing. But i also listened to both of your local bait guys complain about lack of business. I dont blame u one bit for not wanting to report as even i a minnesotan doesnt! People are afraid to go out and try it for themselves...they want to be on the hot bite! I call them scavengers! Keep it light hearted verg things will come around!

I agree walleyeaddict.. too many scaverngers. You proved my point. The bait shops complain about lack of business because the fishing isn't that great and everyone knows it. I also don't think minnesota compares to the pressure we have. Maybe if you want to talk numbers throughout the whole state yes but my area.. Day county is where EVERYONE comes to hunt and fish. We don't have great lakes scattered throughout the whole state. The better ones are right here so they come here to this general area by the thousands. The same reason you come here is why everyone else does. Why do you think lots of these lake got limits dropped-cuz they can't sustain the pressure anymore. I also am not arguing just stating facts. And we don't need another Res vs non res debate.

Both North and South Dakotans call it "Internet Scouting." Guys who want to know right where the x is. The whole fun of fishing/hunting is finding the fish or birds and being proud you have the skills to do so. I was fishing stink slough two weeks ago when the bite was decent. I saw 3 different guys watching others with binoculars. Unreal!

Most guys here don't mind non res guys coming. What bugs us is when someone from out of state or instate blabs on the net how/where etc they slammed 'em. Next thing you know that lake or slough looks like the twin cities and the fish are gone within a couple weeks. We'll tell you if the fishing is decent just not exact locations. We'll all want the hot bite but it is more rewarding to me finding my own little hole.

Good luck.

I think right now that the temps are warming up and the snow is melting and the bite is definately picking up compared to what it has been.

You also have to consider that this winter has been hard on some of the smaller lakes and sloughs with winter kill.

On a side note, there is nothing I hate more than busting my tail to find fish, and when I finally find fish and fish by myself. Show up 2 days later and its a zoo.

The best tip I can give is go to any lake in NE South Dakota drill some holes and start fishing. Whats the fun in just asking for info and showing up to catch fish. Study fish patterns and lake structure and drill holes until you find what works, and you will catch fish. Its that simple really.

Also agreed....but verg imagine taking 250 permies and putiing them on a 100 acre lake.....yeeeaaahh,crowded that is what alot of minnesota is like also....if there is a bite goin out of staters and residents pile in till it stops! I feel ya man but realize u r not alone!

Originally Posted By: rundrave
I think right now that the temps are warming up and the snow is melting and the bite is definately picking up compared to what it has been.

You also have to consider that this winter has been hard on some of the smaller lakes and sloughs with winter kill.

On a side note, there is nothing I hate more than busting my tail to find fish, and when I finally find fish and fish by myself. Show up 2 days later and its a zoo.

The best tip I can give is go to any lake in NE South Dakota drill some holes and start fishing. Whats the fun in just asking for info and showing up to catch fish. Study fish patterns and lake structure and drill holes until you find what works, and you will catch fish. Its that simple really.

rundave, That is the same advice that I give. Hit some lakes and drill some holes and move around. That's the way I have to do it. Prius (SP) and Stink have been absolute zoos this winter and I haven't gone to either of them. I told a guy coming in to the state where to go for some decent fishing a while back. I emailed him the following week and asked him how he did on the lakes that I recommended. He won't answer the emails. Now my lips are sealed also. I remember when it was in the news a couple of years ago that on an average weekend day there were 1,000 people fishing on Waubay Lake. I guess I would call that pretty crowded around here.

Agreed all. 1000 people a day...that is amazing and ridiculous at the same time. As for the guy not returning email..punt him! The revealing of a good location HAS to come with GIVE and TAKE!..usually at a one on one level via email or PM. It is hard to develop trust with someone when they hord all of the info with out EVER returning a report. This is the disgusting side of it.....but.....this also does not mean broadcasting it to everyone with eyes to see it. I enjoy getting a hot tip once in awhile...but, you know what...by the time the tip is passed on, it is USUALLY to late...and doesn't usually pan out. If someone gives me a tip though, i will for sure give one back if they are asking and if i have one to give. JMO

I agree SDwalleye. It seems when a hot tip has finally gotten out, the bite is over. Bites seem to usually only last a little while. I do and have shared info with guys in the past but I don't like it when I give out the info to a guy and that guy broadcasts it. We just need better ethics.

250 permies is nothing addict. 3 years ago, my neighbor the game warden counted 1300 permies on waubay alone on one Saturday and the strange thing was over half were non res.

Bottom line is on occasion I see a few guys get on here and complain that the locals are too tight lipped and we need to give out reports. Sorry its just not gonna happen. Come and fish-we welcome you..but put your own work into it. You'll enjoy your successes more.

good luck to all

I guess I have to add one thing that I should have probably stated in my previous post. I welcome people from other states and will recommend places to fish when I talk to them on the ice, but not over the open internet. I guess my feelings come from ten years ago when the fishing on Waubay and other lakes was really great. It was about this time that I was introduced to the thundering herd and it still sticks in my memory. I remember one day when a guy walked up and said that his auger had quit and wanted to know if he and a few friends could fish out of some of the holes that we had drilled. I told him that it would be ok and he came back with his buddies and there were 14 of them. They then proceeded to run all over the area and fish out of everyone's holes combined with a bit of beer drinking and yelling back and forth between them. It made for a pretty lousy day on the ice and we had to drill more holes so we could fish also.

i know what u talkin about but dont put all non residents in the scavenger area i go to glacial lakes quite often and my party has never had a problem finding fish putting in time like u guys all said is the key to good fishing, many of those lakes are all dish pans so i dont know why everyone gets so excited about one spot, in defense of minnesotans ive had more than one SD fisherman come creeping up on me while catching fish, not trying to start an argument just throwing in my two sense Good luck this weekend

Originally Posted By: rattleL
i know what u talkin about but dont put all non residents in the scavenger area i go to glacial lakes quite often and my party has never had a problem finding fish putting in time like u guys all said is the key to good fishing, many of those lakes are all dish pans so i dont know why everyone gets so excited about one spot, in defense of minnesotans ive had more than one SD fisherman come creeping up on me while catching fish, not trying to start an argument just throwing in my two sense Good luck this weekend

Does this mean that SD people are learning the tricks of the trade???

This stuff is so funny to read I have so much i want to say but so little time to do it!!! And you guys know me i will just start a little fight is all!!!! grin.gif So the best of luck to you all, I am just waiting for the ice to go byebye so I can get the waders out and fish my secrets spots over east for some eyes!!! You game for that verg???

Perchjr

wow, cant believe wut was a wholesome post has gravitated into a word war. personally i dont c y its worth arguin bout. sure im outta state but that shouldnt make a difference. i've talked with many residents out on the lake who r realy friendly and to others who look at the tag or license plate and become unfriendly and confrontational. im sure minnesotans can be the same way if the shoe is on the other foot. i wouldnt let one bad experience tho ruin ur whole idea of us over here. anyway as rattleL said, the basic structure of all these lakes are the same and there are certainly enough fish to go around when u put in your work.

on a different note. headed out to south dakota this past weekend and fished stink. it stunk as far as a perch bite with many dinks and not a single jumbo. was able to pick up a few pike though with the tip-ups.

well jsut got back on the forums had to work all weekend uggh but tuition isnt cheap here at USF but o well a day in the life of cougar football cant be replaced , but on another note South DAkotans learning the tricks of the trade thats a good one i personally have never hole sucked on one carhardt clad south dakotan fishing with a bobber the size of my head i have put countless hours in on the glacial lakes to many to be hole sucked on by another person regardless of residency lets keep it light hearted here later men good fishing i can hardly wait for warm weather to hit the open water

THe University of Sioux Falls its NAIA football yea at times i forget punctuation. I hate missing fishing but we were the 06 national champs and runners up this last year so its worth it