• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Freshwater Shrimp (Gammarus Lacustris) Amphipods

liveaqua

I happened to read some of the post for panfish and perch.

Justifyable concerns as to the species of shrimp that are being used as live bait in Minnesota.

I want to assure anyone with concerns that the Freshwater shrimp being used and sold in Minnesota are native to this state.

I know because I harvest and sell them to the wholesalers and bait shops.

The species is present throughout Minnesota and have been identified as Gammarus Lacustris. They are harvested in Minnesota and sold throughout the state.

I have made them available for ice fishing and wetland restoration with the approval of DNR for over 17 years now.

I do want to make clear there are those of us in the bait industry that do consider the consequences when introducing new baits to the market. And will continue to look for native species that will not have detrimental effects on the eco-system.

Vados Bait in the cities

Stoplight Bait in St. Cloud

Fletchers Bait in Sauk Center

several of the bait shops around Mille Lacs

I have used them for perch, crappies, sunfish, trout, tullabee

I've even caught walleyes with them, but that probably wouldn't be my fish of choice now.

The only mayfly larvae that I am aware of come from WI and with the VHS virus present there I don't recommend anyone using them live.

VHS Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Remember it we will all be hearing a great deal about it in the next few years.

It is a water born virus that has been found in waters of lake Michigan and in the Winnebago chain in WI.

I attacks fish in cool and cold water and "could" kill upto 20% of the fish in a lake in a single year.

It is "NOT" here yet and we hope it won't get here soon.

If you fish in the Great Lake treat your sumps and bait wells with a diluted bleach mixture to clean them.

DON'T MOVE MINNOWS OR BAIT FROM THESE WATER AND DON'T TRANSPORT BAIT FROM STATE TO STATE.

If this virus shows up in a lake such as Mille Lacs there won't be a harvest of spottails in the spring and if it shows up in the Mississippi River it could impact all bait sales in MN.

We Fishermen are going to be the likely means of transport for this virus.

So have a care.