• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Back tension release for bowhunting

I recently tried a back tension release at an indoor archery range. I liked the smooth release, the ease with which it is fastened to the string loop, and the concentration on the target it allows as a result. I was thinking about using it for hunting and was looking for input from some who may be using one while hunting or maybe have tried and experienced issues. Anybody hunt with one?

I shoot back tension for target at times.. but have never tried it for hunting. I would think with the possiblility of moving targets and such.. it may not be the best idea... But I know people have done it.

Which BT release did you shoot?.. I have 4 of them and use them to help with a little target panic I get at times.

I shot a Carter brand release. I am not sure of the model. There were no moving parts to it at all. It was really smooth for me and your right, it removed all the urges to stab at the trigger, flinch with the bow hand, etc. It allowed full focus on the target since the pin needed to be on the target not knowing exactly when the bow was going to fire hence the groups got tighter. Silent operation, didn't need to look down to make sure I was hooked on the loop properly. I liked the convenience. The concern is as you stated. Not sure how it would be if you had to shoot down or at an awkward angle. It seems it would be important to keep your upper body pretty rigid and do all of the moving at your waist? I don't know.

I've heard stories from a coworker putting arrows through ground blinds in an attempt to reposition for a shot using a back-tension release. I think he's since gone back to his Scott or Short-N-Sweet.

I've been playing around with a few of them the last couple weeks in addition to some thumb triggers from Carter that I liked but in the end, I decided to stay with the Little Bitty Goose. Tough to beat.

I think the use of a back-tension release would be hard for hunting. If you have a tiny window for a release, making sure you are on target, with adrenaline, and "pulling through" could be a tough thing to do. Also, in some situations, the form you end up using in a tree stand could make it even harder to use.

I go back to a trigger release for hunting...just feels better

Steve

you can use trigger releases as back tension with very slight modifications. just cup the trigger and keep pulling through. don't move your finger once in contact with the trigger. not quit as true as a real back tension, but might cure the target panic issues some people get.