• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The history of bass?

Slyster

Does anyone know the history of bass? Where were bass found originally?... like 1000 years ago before ANY human stocking and other artificial interventions.

Where they found in just one small part of the world and only spread in the last few hundred years by the hands of man?

I remember catching a northern pike in Norway once and wondering the same thing. These fish cannot MIGRATE like birds.. so how did they get around before stocking etc. I wonder where pike are originally from too! \:\)

BUT... in just ONE lake? (I am talking before man ever set foot in North America)... seems they couldn't get around to TOO many lakes unless the lakes were connected by rivers or during flooding years... that might make their nature origins just one PART of one state?

I got curious and checked around the net (im bored)...

According to Wikipedia smallmouth bass were originally found out east and their range spread after the creation of the erie canal and with the railroads. I couldnt find anything more specific.

It appeares largemouth's original range was found many places east of the Rockies but not in Michigan's upper penisula or southern shores of lake superior. Also, The Florida strain was originaly found in Florida's main penisula. This is the fish many of the southern lake now have due to stocking.

I dont know if you'll ever get an answer as specific as your looking for (before man). Not sure how they could figure something like that out.