• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rockin Reels

Rockin Reels, Rockin Reels, Rockin Reels,
Can some one tell me about these? All I hear is rockin reels, rockin reels, what are they? how do they work? Oh da heck wit it where do I get one? Oh the voices in my head keep calling Rockin Reels, you can walk on that ice, Rockin Reels ,Rockin Reels go get em, Rockin Reels. help?

------------------

Frozen Minnow.......You want the story on Rock 'n Reels huh?....Ok then. It all started back in 1999. I was really getting frustrated with missing walleyes through the ice. Now I caught my share but I was also missing alot of them because it seemed I didn't often get to my deadstick on time and they were already off having spit the bait after feeling too much resistance. At least, that's what I figured. So I began to think about how I could still deadstick but yet, not lose so many fish that way. A few days later, I went into my garage shop and started looking at the dump hanging on the walls and in drawers and so on. I put together a contraption that I could balance my rod on. Not clamped in to anything-just a rest that the rod could be set on using the reel to counterbalance what was down the hole. Simple enough in design but, what the heck-it seemed like it might just be the ticket. So I took the thing (actually dubbed the Rock 'n Reel 1) and headed back to the ice for the evening bite. Not too surpisingly, the "thing" worked just like I thought it would. A fish would hit and the rod would slowly dip down towards the hole. Once the rod tip was nearly at ice level, I'd grab the rod off the devise at the same angle that the fish had pulled it to (so the fish wouldn't know I was there) and set the hook. Man! It was like night and day! So I spent the rest of that winter fishing alot of different lakes with it. I also began to mess with the design a little the following summer. I made several prototypes and sent them to my Shanty Gang buddies. I wanted to make sure that other people could do the same things I was doing with the thing. After another winter, I found out that they liked them but that they were too flimsy. All were made of wood back in those days. Another winter went by and the units were made a little heftier but still had weaknesses. I was spending alot of nights in the shop making those things back then. Then finally, a friend from New York State who is a machine shop teacher there held a class project. He challenged his students to come up with a better design. The whole face of things changed at that point. It was a fantastic idea. The units that were sold last winter were all produced in New York from CNC milled solid polypropylene. There were also units produced that are designed to be mounted on the front of a portable shelter tub so that your rod is right in front of you sitting on the peg.........And that pretty much brings you up to date. I've had alot of fun developing this thing especially because it involves ice fishing and that's my favorite pastime of all.....That's the story.....T

So thats what they are? I made a pole holder last year that does the same thing and I must say that it works great.
I used stainless welding rod bent it like a regular pole holder but bent rockers in also.

------------------
This is 100% what its all about...