• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Product of China

Have any of you looked at the labeling on "Alaskan" sea food? "Wild caught in Alaska-Product of China". Salmon, Haddock, Halibut. Even Schwan's salmon is labeled that way. I called them and the lady said it is caught in Alaskan waters, processed in Alaska, shipped to China, packaged there, and sent back. Sooo... other than paying upwards of $20.00 per pound plus shipping directly from Alaskan suppliers, anyone know where to get real Alaskan salmon?

Maybe I should have explained a little more. I don't care for salmon, nor do I want to buy all the equipment to fish for them on Superior. This is for my in-laws who requested Alaskan Salmon. I guess it seems I did "Lob one up". Nice hit irvingdog!

Boatfixer, that is a common occurance unfortunatly out there. It's not just salmon, it's Alaskan Crab (Artic Crab is usually what they dub it which is a product of Russia), Halibut, Pollock, etc.... I guess a safe bet for you would be to search out some Copper River Salmon. I really can't help you on where to find it, my home freezer is stocked from the great lakes. At work I typically just specify from my purveyors where I want my fish from, I doubt it's that easy in a store, but may be worth a try.

Thanks Cheffrey, I asked the local grocer, and he said the fresh fish they get from a supplier is farm raised from Chile. Maybe this is an excuse to start salmon fishing, I don't know.

NP Bruce, Since the topic is up can I throw this out there?

As a chef and an avid outdoorsman I make choices every day that effect our saltwater fisheries and the consumers who dine with me. 5 years ago I had the honor to host an event with the Monterrey Aquarium and they turned me onto allot of things to look out for, here is the take on farmed salmon from their HSOforum:

Salmon (farmed)

There are many environmental problems related to farming salmon.

Consumer Note

The vast majority of salmon farmed today are Atlantic salmon. A small quantity of Pacific salmon - chinook and coho are also farmed, so it’s important to always ask whether the salmon you are buying is “wild” or “farmed".

Health Alert

Salmon farmers may use pesticides and antibiotics to control outbreaks of disease. When consumers eat this fish, the residues from the chemicals may affect their health or interfere with medicines they’re taking. Environmental Defense has issued a health advisory for farmed salmon due to high levels of PCBs and dioxins.

Summary

Most salmon are farmed in open pens and cages in coastal waters. Waste from these farms is released directly into the ocean. Parasites and diseases from farmed salmon can spread to wild fish swimming near the farms.

One of the biggest concerns is the amount of food required to raise salmon in farms. It generally takes three pounds of wild fish to grow one pound of farmed salmon.

Segments of the salmon farming industry are improving their practices, but the environmental impact is still increasing because production has risen more than 400% in the last decade. In the market, there is currently no way to tell which salmon are coming from the more-sustainable farms, so for now we ask you to avoid farmed salmon and choose wild-caught salmon instead.

Just something I thought I would share.

boatfixer, Some time ago I seen a program on the 'Food Channel' involving fresh seafood. They did give a HSOforum to a place in New York where you could order from and they'd overnight your order to your home. They had an unbelieveable amount of products available for shipping!! I'm sorry, at this point, I don't recall the HSOforum addy, If I do recall it, I will attempt to contact you. It sounds like that would be just what you're looking for. Cheffrey, Thanks for your post, VERY informative!! Phred52

Its getting harder and harder to go groceries shopping and find anything made in the USA. I am getting old and have a attitude problem when it comes to buying anything bought in China, or any other country other than our own. These country's don't have to go through the inspections that our food producers have to, and I think someday there is going to be a big problem (health) with the imported food. That pretty much puts Walmart off limits for me!!!