• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best pontoon rod holders?

muc33

Bless grandpa's heart when he got us a fishing pontoon! Grandpa passed away a couple weeks ago and we will miss him, but he wanted us to open water fish more and we have to get Grandma all ready to go with us. But, not being used to fishing out of a pontoon, I need some help in finding the best type of rod holder to get for the pontoon????!!!!! Grandma and the girls have about as much hang on to a pole and fish patience as I have pockets full of gold, so I know holders are going to be needed. What do you suggest? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Not an expert by any means in this but you might be able to rig up some of your own using pvc pipe, don't know what style of fishing your looking at, but if thinking all the lines of bobber fishing, I'd go out and get a 12 foot piece of 6" or 4" pvc, cut it into 3 footers or whatever height would work to set them from the floor to the top of the rail, make a cut or slit wide enough for the reel to slide in, then just mount them with some sort of zip ties or smaller bungies. I'd mount them vertical, unless your thinking of trolling then this just disregard this idea. Might be cheaper than buying the expensive setups.

Im sorry to hear about Grandpa, thats never good news. Hes in my prayers.

Would you be able to just mount some down rigger brackes on the rails of the pontoon? What brand of pontoon did you get? im sure there is something out there for this

On my old one, I have the white rocket launcher tubes to simply "hold" the rods when not in use. I have them on the back rails.

For true "rod holders" I have a few of the Scotty models on pontoon, and many on our boat, but if I was doing it again I think I would get the Cabelas 360HT (I think that is the model name). They have rail mounts so placing them is easy. They also a "3 gang" model that might work nice if you have several people and they can point in different directions but all be located in a common area.

Sorry to hear of your Grandpa's passing, but you can bet he is proud you are continuing his traditions!

Thanks. Yes, it has rails. I was thinking along the rail mount type for still fishing mostly, but also one sturdy enough for a drift or slow troll. I am just used to fishing in a boat, but with the pontoon, the whole family will be out, so why not have the lines out at times trying for panfish or bullheads with the kids and stuff.