• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clear Water Gills

FishinChad

I am heading out today in search of some bigger gills, I will be trying a crystal clear lake and am wondering what advise you have for this situation. I have very little experience on real clear lakes.

I am looking at a nice sized weedy area, but am worried it may be too shallow with the clear water. Another option is just on the edge or outside the weedline...and if I cant find fish relating to the weeds, I am looking at a "saddle" area between 2 deep holes, the sattle comes up to about 20fow, deeper on both sides.

Now which would you target first on a crystal clear lake remembering I am looking for the bigger fish.

I will post results when I return, hopefully I can find some but I have never fished this lake with success on the ice. Thanks for any help!

Yes it is clear enough, I would be able to see easily if I was in a portable at least but difficult when sitting out on the ice in daylight. I tried some deeper water just off the weed edge and marked a few fish but no takers. I didnt fish long, couldnt talk anyone into going with me. I will hit it again soon.

We fish those conditions all the time, last few weeks we have been in less than 6' catching gills, perch, northerns, bass and crappies. I don't care much to fish waters I cant see bottom in anymore. Sight fishings great.

When you guys sight fish, do you have your face right above the hole? I have found at times that if I was looking down from straight above the hole, the fished seem to spook or be hestitant to take the bait. Maybe I am moving around too much or I am making something out of nothing. Any tips or comments?

When I'm deep enough I drill 3 holes. 1 between my feet for watching the other 2 farther away to fish out of. Shallow and thick ice dont allow this so I look down the holes I'm jigginb but subtle movements are key.

I have tried fishing in the weeds once last year and couldnt find a fish anywhere to my suprise, but I know in past winters that people have caught them in the weeds in the winter. I will be targeting shallow next time out! Thanks for the tips.

2 Da Gills: For sight fishing I think most guys are using a portable with all the windows closed up tight. Then you can look down the hole and see the fish without them seeing you. If there's too much light they will definitely be hesitant if you're looking down at them. It's just like darkhouse spearing but you're angling. Nothing funner than watching a nice walleye or gill eat your bait. Who cares if you feel it.... You SEE it! Set the hook!

fishermatt,

I use a portable when sight fishing as well. My portable is a very small custom made deal. It has no windows, so I do not need to worry about closing the windows. It may be that the canvas is too light weight and it is letting too much light pass through. I can see that if I am creating a shadow or silhouette over the hole that would not be good.

That or maybe it is the bright pink cap with the strobe light that I wear while sight fishing?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

If you're after big gills in clear-shallow water, movement and sound need to be at a minimum. Those big gills got big by being spooky at the slightest hint of danger.

Where I have been fishing recently, movement and sound have been huge factors. The fish have either been suspended or shallow. If I marked fish with the vex and pulled my house over to the hole. They were gone and would not come back for some time (if at all). If this weather would ever cooperate, this is the time of the year for rapid hole hopping and leaving the portable behind. Unfortunately, the temps and wind have not been making that a very attractive option. I tried it for about 5 minutes on Wednesday night and lost feeling in my hands. Right now I will even take 30 degrees.