• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to trout fishing

jt24

Well I know there is probably a thread on this all ready but I cant seem to find it. A group of us are going back to canada this June and we would like to try for lake trout. The problem is none of us have ever fished for them. They told use last year to try jigging white tubes but we didnt have any and didnt know where to locate fish. I know you can troll for them to but dont you need to get pretty deep or are they shallower in early June? Thanks for any info!

Early June they should still be fairly shallow--10 to 15 feet. I troll with long line out or planer boards--they are a little boat shy. I always troll with silver colored spoons-similiar to 2/5 ozs. Little Cleo's--silver and Blu or silver and Green. Warden Worries in green or pearl are good also. I'm talking mostly Lake Superior and Lake Nipigon some of the small inland lakes fish a little different.

Just to clarify kkahmann.....when he says 10 to 15 feet he means under the surface. Later in the summer they go much deeper but my question is this for kkahmann and anybody else....when fishing for them in early to mid June where are the best places to find them 10 to 15 feet down....over deep mid-lake humps and bumps? On the edges of points that run down to the lake basin? Possibly in deep bays where a river runs in? Thanks

I look for shoals and reefs-the mid-lake humps and bumps that are rocky and I troll miles of shoreline--again rocky shorelines. I've never noticed lakers to be oriented toward current, mud or weeds. I look for rock and gravel.

Good advice Kkahmann. Thanks!

I'm going to be up on Gunflint lake in June this year and am looking forward to making the attempt at catching some lakers. I knew that lakers don't really like mud or weeds but I did seriously wonder about current areas given the obvious food sources it would provide them.

I suppose that a stray one could be found in such an area, but nothing reliable.

I have a few leadcore rigs that I'm planning on using and hoping that I mark lakers on the Lowrance. Any other advice from folks would be appreciated.

I fished leadcore and wire line for years--it's a bit of work to do it right. I much prefer dipsey divers and downriggers now. On Gunflint in June Lakers should still be fairly shallow. I'd use planer boards and long line them.

I haven't gotten into planer boards because I just haven't given it the old college try. I used them muskie fishing with a buddy on Mille Lacs and it worked out great....those are a bit more hardcore than what I'd use and maybe Gunflint is a perfect place to learn how to do it.

How far away do you run your planers and how far back would you consider longlining?

If I'm running a shoreline I only run 1 planer board about 50 to 60 feet out on the inshore side. I run the lure back at least 150ft and I look to run the planer board over the 'break' were the shallow water you can see drops off. Then I run one off the back, maybe back 200 or even 300 ft. Lakers when up shallow tend to be a little boat shy.