• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Logitech Remote Control Units 550 vs 880

Windy City Walleye Hunter

Question

OK Techno-geeks,

What say ye? Looking at adding a universal remote and I think I have narrowed it down to either the 550 at somewhere between $75 and $85 or the 880 at $150. Does anyone have either or have you compared the two? Are there any other brands or models worth exploring around the same price point?

Windy

14 answers to this question

The new model I believe is the 1000 and runs about 420-450.. \:\)

As for the differences in the models, what all are you looking to "run" with this remote? (TV, DVD, home theater..etc)

Some of the obvious differences are:

550 - none color screen, runs on 4 AAA batteries

880 - color screen, has a A/C charger base to charge the remote

The 550 model is a nice model. My brother has this remote and hasn't had an issue with it. It'll replace (most...probably all) of your remotes and handle all of the basic functions. I haven't played with his remote enough but all in all....it did everything he needs on a daily basis with his tv, dvd, and home theater system. You can control up to 12 devices...(some of those can even be lights and appliances)

The 880 will do all of the above with a color screen, rechargable, and will control up to 15 devices.

Can't go wrong with either remotes. Both are very nice. Both models have the ability to be setup connected to your pc and also both have the "learning" capability for older remotes.

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you all know that I just scored the Harmony 880 on amazon. Regular price was $149 with free shipping but I got a $50 discount code (GXWCVCLQ) off of slick deals. Total paid was $99 with free shipping and the unit is new, no refurb, and will arrive on March 13th. Sweet!

Thanks for all the imput. I wanted to share this with anybody else looking to step up to the Harmony.

Windy

I don't know how familiar any of you are with X10 products. I have been using their lighting controls for years now to remote control my lights. Well, they just came out with a remote very comparable to the 880 but for only $59.99. It's call the IconRemote. You can google it or go to the x10 site. If you haven't seen any x10 stuff before, take a look. You can rig your house like your the jetsons for not a lot of money.

Sandman,

I did do some research on the X10 and it got some pretty good reviews. The thing I like about the Harmony is mostly for my wife where it asks her what she wants to do, watch tv, play a dvd, etc and it will turn on all needed equipment and do all the settings. I need a point and click for her as she is truly old school and not very techno-savvy. I ran it by my geek squad at work and they all seemed impressed but the Harmony was the remote of choice, maybe based on it's name or reputation. I know that the X10 takes 4 batteries vs a rechargable for the Harmony. We shall see! Thanks for the info.

Windy

So Sandman,

Will this thing really do everything for all the remotes? I am trying to find something that will totally replace all of them: my Comcast remote for my cable, my Samsung for the TV, my Denon for the receiver and my LG for the DVD/Tape player. I am thinking about adding an Ipod dock and really crank it up a notch. Just got done installing ceiling speakers and a kickin sub.

Windy