• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey every one 1 I was just wondering if anyone could help out two college kids from Anoka MN with fishing Lake traverse were planning a trip in late April the week after it opens. We have never fished this lake b4 and any help would be appreciated we have looked at places to stay and are thinking of Circle K resort

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

No Its just me and my freind are both avoid fishermen and just cant wait until the middle of may to catch a eyeball besides I think its cool that you can use 2 rods fishing in the summer. yeah ive herd alot of rocks do you think we should concentrate more on north end or down by the resort.

Stop into Ben's Bait (if it's still open after the flood)in Browns Valley and buy a map. He'll highlight all of the areas to be careful around.

I fished Traverse 4 years ago and loved it. Casting cranks/jigs or bobbers into the shallows should work.

ya corey ben's bait is still open.the guy's name is mike he will be able to help you out he fishes all the time so it is sometime tough to catch him when he is open.coret did you get your money in for the border battle? or are you not giong to be fishing it.it has benn a tough winter for walleyes on bigstone this year

what do you guys think about baits should we bring minnows, crawlers, leeches or just stick to artificials also ive been using planer boards when trolling deep on Mille Lacs do you think these would be effective using say a # 5 shad or a husky [jerk-bait] for trolling shallow.

The gills turn on in the summer months over the rocks you can pick up a few here and there but it's very very hit or miss with them in April and May.

Minnows, leeches, curly tails, jigs and cranks are good starting points, the deepest this lake gets is about 12 feet maybe 13 depending on how much water they let out or are letting out of the dam.

I troll using #5 shads all the time with planner boards they work great and it keeps you off the rocks. Which there are plenty around out here so be careful be very careful. Don't assume that since you're in the middle of the lake or 100 yards from shore you're safe.

As far as getting in touch with Mike. I would say if you stop at his shop between 0800 and 1500 on a weekday the chances of running into him are very good. Everytime I go down there to [PoorWordUsage] with him he's always in.

As far as the north or south end of the lake goes I know of alot of fish get caught on both ends. Both casting the shore lines and trolling the rock piles.

I have heard people contend lately that Traverse is the best fishery in SD. I have never been on it but if that is even remotely true, I can't wait to fish it. The only reason it doesn't get the pressure it deserves is because people are afraid of it.

I suppose once a mapping company makes a chip for it, the lake will become more popular. To be honest I had never even really heard anything about it until this past weekend.

Anybody fish Mud lake on the down side of traverse? I heard it is great for northerns in the winter months when they open it up to liberlized fishing? My buddys dad talks about it all the time? Anybody have any info about this?

traverse is great if you can put in the time to get on a bite. its one of those lakes where you could fish 10 days straight and catch nothing but foul hooked carp, then on the 11th day, land 4 fish over 28" in 4 hours. i would seriously laugh at anybody that said traverse is the best fishery in sd; there are too many lakes that have quality multi species fisherys; not to mention the big mo; but its a great lake none the less. just WATCH OUT FOR ROCKS!

Traverse is a great lake, but carpshooter is right. I've had times when I couldn't buy a bite and had other times where we've limited out in a couple hours. There are some real big fish in there. I watched a guy pull 36, 33, and 31 inchers out of it in the span of a half hour one day. Just be real careful of the rock piles. They're not marked real well and if you don't know where they are you could be in for some trouble. The other problem is when the wind gets up past about 10mph it makes the lake almost unfishable.