• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camping trailer to perm ice-house?

doughnut03

We have an old pop-up camping trailer that the interior and canvas is shot. I have free reign to overhaul it, but I would really like to completely gut and strip it to the frame, and build a house on the frame from scratch. Im pretty handy, but the only thing Im having problems with is I would like to somehow be able to convert the frame to a drop trailer so I can lay it down on the ice. Any ideas/suggestions? Is there any plans anywhere or kits I can get to be able to convert the trailer so I can place it on the ice? Any help would be appreciated!!

With the ice season nearing it end, I'm already looking forward to next year. I'm in the situation...I've got an old camper I want to convert into a wheel house, hoping to have it crank right down onto the ice.. I've been watching a couple different treads, with this topic or something very similar, hoping someone would have some concrete plans on how to go about this...If someone has a link or willing to offer expert information, completed pics of a project someone did for you, (focused in on conversion) your more than welcome to send them personally as well to my email address, [email protected]

We've converted everything on our old camper BUT the wheels, to be a drop down. We are making plans right now on what to do this summer. Many camper are different, and you may need to have help to design something that works for your particular frame.

We've got two main 2x3 steel front-to-back frame members set in about 12 inches from the sides, and wheel wells on a 7 foot wide camper. We're considering a couple high-level options so far, both that require a little enlargement of the wheel well: (1) using a torsion axle arm from Northern Tool and custom welding and frame beefup with crank, and (2) a compact version of that which appears in the "Ultimate FM Fishouse" thread. The only diff is one is torsion and the other if leaf. Both require a bigger side wheelwell cutout and compact winch mechanism. The sprung version is more complex to build, and all options require some significant side-to-side beefing-up of the frame to counter the torsional forces.