• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scenic and Bear Head Lake State Parks

dewydog

The family is planning a trip for this summer and I was wondering if anyone has stayed at Scenic or Bear Head Lake State Parks? We will be going for 8 days and making a loop (father hennepin, scenic, bear head, jay cooke) then back home to St. Michael.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

It's been about five years since we stayed at Scenic but I remember it being pretty nice. There's a fishing pier at the beach as well as a dock where you can leave your boat. I don't remember it being too busy when we stayed there. We've only driven through Bear Head to check it out and it looked like a good place to stay.

I've been to both several times about 10 years ago. At that time, great fishing at both. Nice, nice slab crappies on Bear Head. There was one spot where they'd start hitting like clockwork right as the sun was going down and the mosquitos were heading in. We wanted to head back in to get away from the bugs, but the fish were biting so good that we just couldn't.

On Scenic we found really nice sunnies and northerns. Two years ago, we actually made it back to Scenic and we, along with just about everyone else we talked to, were completely skunked. It was that really dry summer up there when water levels were really low so that might have had something to do with it.

Scenic has really nice hikes. Both places are not crowded and have private sites. You really cannot go wrong with either. You also have the mines close by to tour on the rainy days.

My wife and I stayed at Scenic twice last summer, once in June and once in August. I would recommend it as a place to camp. Fishing for pike in June was really good, there is a protective slot on the lake. In August the pike fishing was slower, the crappie fishing picked up though. We like the second camp ground, which is further away from the office area.

Thanks for all the info! I am very excited about the trip. Our family consists of 4 kids under the age of 8, a yellow lab, and my wife and I. We run around in a suburban (only thing we can fit in) and a 32ft Zinger by crossroads. The kids are already asking when we can take the camper out!!! GOTTA LOVE IT.

Thanks again.

We have stayed at both, most often at Scenic. Scenic is my favorite state park. More vacationers and less weekenders. Beautiful trail to the point between both lakes. Bearhead is also nice but has more campers come and go as BWCA visitors ofen stop there either before or after their trip. Was great eagle watching as their used to be a nest right near the beach.

I would say that you will fall in love with Scenic State Park, I have been going there for 29 years, I will be turning 30 y/o this October. Fishing was better when I was a kid, because Scenic was a "out of the way" state park. Still good fishing there, I have my personal best walleye out of that lake, and from what I have been told, that is the largest walleye that any of the park staff can recall being caught out of the lakes there.

Great hiking trails, and lots of things to do and see around that area.

My wife of 6 years loves it up there, and so do my two boys. They always want to go there, usually make two trips there during the summer, and always over Labor Day weekend when all the extended family is there.

My Aunt and Uncle have been campground hosts there as well, in what is referred to as the Chasepoint Campground. Great place with great park staff.

Love both those parks. Scenic has decent panfishing on Coon and Sandwick. Bear Head is a nice fishery as well; a buddy of mine got his personal best walleye while dragging a Mepps behind the canoe.

Both are just gorgeous parks. That's a nice lineup on your itinerary. Can I jump in with the kids?

You probably could and we would not even notice. With the 4 kids running around there is alot that gets past us. I think last year we were in the camper 17 weekends. We start on the fishing opener and wrap up at pheasant opener. That camper is the best money we have ever spent.