• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aperture2?

Have any of you used Aperture 2 - the Apple software for pp? I have the Canon Digital Photo Pro that was bundled with my Rebel XT and Photoshop Elements, and I'm really just getting to know both of them so probably don't need to try any new software. Just curious to hear if Aperture has any advantages for amateurs -

Sorry for not replying when I first saw this.

I use Aperture and have recently updated to AP2. I can't say enough about this software. Lightroom is Adobe's equivalent software. Both are fantastic programs, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

AP2 and LR strong points are their ability to manage your digital images. Complete cataloging, keywording and rating of all images really makes locating specific images very easy. This is especially helpful as your library grows.

Both programs offer exceptional image adjustment controls. Most post processing can be done within the programs themselves. For extended processing, images can 'round trip' to Photoshop and Elements for heavy pixel editing.

Consider AP2 and LR to be image editors while Elements and Photoshop are pixel editors.

Personally, I would strongly recommend either one of these programs to any digital shooter that would like to have complete control over their digital image library.

If you have any other questions regarding Aperture, just post it here.

I was wondering about that. I didn't get the first version of AP because it didn't support Cannon 40D, but in AP2 it does. I wanted to wait a bit longer to see if there were any complications between the camera and AP2, so far there hasn't been complications.

I'm thinking about purchasing AP2. Can you please be more specific about it? Aside from being a great library, can you tell me what can AP2 do that photoshop can't do? I'm just curious?

"Aside from being a great library, can you tell me what can AP2 do that photoshop can't do?"

MountainDew, yikes... that is a very loaded question indeed.

I am not quite sure how to answer it. Keep in mind the coin can be flipped as well.

What can Photoshop do that Aperture can't?

To be honest, AP2/LR and Photoshop/Elements are really two different programs with some overlapping in the middle.

Maybe a helpful explanation is what I use both AP2 and Photoshop for.

I use AP2 for...

Importing and containing all of my RAW files. After each shoot, I download the camera card, keyword and rate each photo.

After that, I will batch process similar images for White Balance, Exposure, Levels and Sharpening. Tweak individual photos as needed.

Then I remove any sensor dust spots on selected images.

Depending on the shoot, I might select my 'A' list images and post to a web gallery to share with others. This is done with a click of a button.

Sometimes, an image may need some additional processing. Again, I simply click a button and it opens in Photoshop CS3. (AP2 will not selectively edit areas, CS3 will.)

After all changes are made in CS3, I save the image. Which saves the image back to AP2 as a new Master of the original image (non destructive of the original). As mentioned before, image editing can be done in AP2 and pixel editing needs to be done in CS3.

One of the best features of AP2/LR is the non destructive nature of your original image.

For instance, once I bring a RAW file into AP2 and make adjustments, I have the ability to revert to my camera original downloaded file at any time. Whether it is tomorrow or 5 years from now. All adjustments made to the original file are done as a Version of the Master. Each Version is only a dataset that tells your monitor how you would like it to look. This is a tremendous space saver. You can have 1,2,3 or more Versions of the Master image (original RAW file), and only increase the overall space used on your HD by a very, very minimal amount.

I can't even begin to list the other many, many useful features of AP2 and LR here.

DOB, congrats on the new hardware. AP2 or LR is a win/win.

I would encourage anyone interested to download the free trial version of AP2/LR from each of their respective web sites and give it a whirl. It will most certainly make your digital imaging world much more pleasant.

Here is a screen shot of just some of the useful adjustments for a JPG image. There are quite a few more options with RAW files.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

picture-16.jpg