• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Albino Mallard

ddp

I have lunch at Moore Lake in Fridley and have been noticing an albino mallard there the last couple of days. It's a really beautiful bird. I've seen some folks with the big SLR cameras there every so often but not since the albino has showed up. I can imagine getting some great pics of it. I myself don't have the equipment but just thought I would share for those who live close to the area.

yeah, I will post again next week. It hangs with the others at the aireator. A lady was feeding the ducks in the parking lot today and it was the last one to leave the water... Seemed a little shy \:\)

Yeah, it's tough to tell if it's a true albine or not. When it came to feed in the parking lot, it matched up with other mallards(size, shape, etc) I was unable to get close enough to see if it had the red eyes, etc.

Unfortanetly captive birds often escape or are released into the wild and worse yet wild mallards cross with domestic ducks so unusual colored ducks are not that uncommon anymore. In some parts of the U.S a pure mallard is hard to find because they have been mixing with domestic ducks so frequently. Here is a duck that was on a lake that is a popular place for people to feed them even though its illegal. It was taken last spring. I am assuming its blind in the one eye because its just solid yellow. Its a hybrid between a mallard and a domestic since its larger then the mallards. I hope someone gets a picture of this duck on Moore Lake and posts it. I would really like to see it.

duck.jpg

I work across the street from Moore Lake and drive by the park every day and night on my way home. Maybe I will bring the camera tomorrow and see if I can get a pic. Not sure if my kit lens will do much for me though.

A call duck is a bantam sized domestic duck. They were originally bred and used as live decoys for duck hunters, hence the name. They prefered the small size so they could fit more into a gunny sack, which meant more decoys to hunt over. Using live decoys is now illegal, so calls are kept primarly as pets or for showing.