• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dropper Rigs

For those who use dropper rigs, what do you use?

I like to take the treble hook off of smaller spoons and go from that route. Buckshot rattle spoons work real well as does just about any other spoon. Kastmasters are another favorite.

I also experimented with small jigging rapalas. I would just do as I would with a spoon and take the small treble hook off. But you also have to cut off the front and back hook or else you are technically fishing with more hooks then allotted (similar to just a plain treble hook without any beads or blades. The rapala can be considered as some sort of spider rig if the hooks are not cut off, making it illegal in MN). This method has a lot of action and can work well for fishing perch on larger bodies of water when trying to locate large schools of fish over large flats.

Anyone use hanger rigs?

Dropper rigs have worked well for me when fishing perch on Mille Lacs and Winnie. As well as crappies in some situations.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

Halis are deadly, especially due to the dropper, i think. Seems to look like a strip of belly meat or something, the way it flashes. I have extra chains that I bought to use on Glow Devil spoons and it added to the attention that lure gets. Didnt seem to add much to the Angel eye, tho.

Try it yourselves, add a chain dropper to your fave perch spoon and see what happens.

Is it Ice yet?

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<
"LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!"
(Not you Pal, I was talking to my bait)

A few years back, I bought a thing called a slip dropper. Its a gold metal blade that attaches to your line with a couple of plastic sleeves-one on each end. That allows you to move it up and down your line. It works good as an attractor if moved up about three feet from your splitshot. Once the fish come in, move it down to within six to eight inches from the shot. I always use it with a plain #4 hook. The only problem with it is that it might get the whole ball of wax tangled up if you let it down too fast. I can't remember who makes it but when things are slow, I always pull it out and sometimes, things change.......T

Mjhowe,

Droppers do not work well on the Angel Eye Jr's because of the way they are designed. They are designed to be used alone and have the action of a dead or wounded minnow. This spoon works best tipped with just the head of a minnow or a small whole minnow. The chain screws up the action of this spoon.

However the Glow Devils work very well with a dropper line. Another spoon this will work very well on this year is going to be the Rattling Varmit Spoon by JB Lures. I normally tie up a few before each season and have fas-snaps put on the end that hooks to my spoon.

Jeff
Scenic Tackle

[This message has been edited by Jeff Beckwith (edited 10-01-2003).]

TBone,
The slip dropper is made by Custom Jigs-n-Spins. I bought a few but still like the trebleless spoons. The slip droppers are great for when you want to change the length of the extension.

So far it sounds like the Hali's are in demand.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

MJ5
I usually use the Nils Master Hali. It is a spoon with a 3-5 inch chain and small hook below the spoon. This thing was deadly on perch and crappies last year. Walleyes also were caught later in the year this using wax worms, spikes, eurolarva, and mousies.

The Nils Hali is flat-out deadly for aggressive perch. It drops down deep like a cannonball, so there is no waiting between fish for your lure to reach them...this is especially useful when fishing Winnie for those midwinter perch scooled up out in the deep water. I noticed that the chain dropper tended not to tangle nearly as much as mono, and does not spook fish.