• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone using a Canon 5D?

I don't know why, but I don't care for my Canon 40D. I sold some lenses recently, and if I sell my 40D, I'd be able to get a 5D. I love the low noise of the 5D.

But it's rumored that Canon will be announcing a new model soon but I think that'd be out of my price range anyway.

I keep reading the reports that say the 40D image quality is as close to the 5D as is possible but I'm not convinced, or I might just be too picky about noise, in which case it would be silly to waste the money on the upgrade.

Anyone used both?

I had a 5D for about a week-not impressed. From the tests I've seen online the 40D produces slightly more noise than it's predecessors,which makes sense. More pixels in the same size sensor can only spell more noise unless the noise reduction built into the camera does a very good job. Usually,when the noise reduction ramps up it smears details worse than the actual noise.

I tested my 5D against my 20D and my 30D at higher iso's-and sent the 5D right back. Not a very noticeable difference at 800 and I couldn't tell any diff. at 1600.

Hopefully,when the 50D comes out in June,it will have all the bugs worked out.

I recently saw some bird images on another photo site,and the dude was using an old 10D 6mp and a 600L,his images completely and absolutely blew away anything i've seen on the internet thus far. So i wouldn't put too much faith in having the "latest and greatest" body. I put it in order this way:

1.The person behind the camera.

2.Situation

3.Lens

4.Body [Camera body-not the person's grin.gif]

Cheryl,

I have used a 5D (rented) to shoot a wedding back in August. I was extrememly impressed with the results I got from the camera. I am comparing it to a much lesser camera, as I shoot a Canon Digital Rebel, rather than a 20/30/40D. I have attached a sample image in a size just a bit larger than I normally post to show the results I found on an extremely tricky exposure. The bride had sewn a garter for the maid of honor and added a dragonfly charm to it. They put the garters on in the limo before the outdoor ceremony (hot sunny day in August). It is not the best sample I know, but not much noise. It did turn out to be one of the bride's favorite photos though. One nice thing about the camera I noticed, is pretty much every shot was dead on.

Canon 5D with 24-70 2.8L - Shot at ISO-1600, 70mm, F/4, 1/320 sec, +/- 0 EC.

(I do have permission from the couple to use the photos.)

2190921543_55f7e6bf30_b.jpg

I kinda noticed the same pop from the 5D. I would like to upgrade to one, but just don't have the funds for it. My camera works okay for most things, but I think until I can get a 5D or the next generation, I will have to rent it for weddings. The biggest complaint I had with the camera is that the lcd on the back doesn't reflect the colors and white balance of the photos as you shoot them as well as it could. The one I used, had a yellowish tone to it on the lcd, but the shots came out good as you can see.

I had a couple shots at ISO-3200 that were shot of just the unity candle burning, and no additional light, and I was able to get a fast enough shutter speed to not have shake, but the image had a good bit of noise under those conditions. But out of 1600 images on the day, 5 special shots I tried to shoot of the unity candle were the only ones with noticable/bothersome noise.

It's probably better to wait until the new cameras are announced, the 5D will likely drop in price and there will be a ton of minty ones being sold as their owners upgrade. Plus there's talk of a cheaper full-frame model, something between the 40D and 5D ...

It's good that you can rent when needed!