• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sparrows?? I.D.?

MARINERMAGNUM

a few of these were at our feeder this morn. not exactly sure what they are. i assume they are some type of sparrow in a winter plume,but i've never seen them so dark. they look like black birds when they sit in a tree. as you can see they are much bigger than house sparrows. some were bigger than cardinals. you can see some faint streaking in the breast. maybe a fox sparrow? there were about 6 of them. they disappeared and didn't come back. the one with a white throat made me think white thr. spar.,but it was twice the size of the white throat that was on the ground with them. anyone seen this before?

camera was a $75 sony that we keep on the window sill in case bigfoot walks by. so don't slap me around on the quality. grin.gif

spar3.jpg

spar2.jpg

spar1.jpg

I believe you have juvenile brown-headed cowbirds based on:

shape & size

white throat

bill

faint eye ring

faint breast streaking

short tail

your location in Iowa

Cowbirds actually have a much wider array of plumage than they get credit for....always confusing people.