• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tip up line and leader

jackoh58

I have never used tip-ups, just jigging rods, but bought a windlass and a 10" thermal pro. Was hoping some of you could help me out as to line, leader and baiting for panfish and maybe walleye or pike. Just looking for some advise.
Thanks

I use my tip-ups for pike and walleye. I like Gudenbrod (plastic/nylon coated line) with a 4 foot leader of 6-8 pound mono for walleye. For pike I just use Gudenbrod and attach a quike strike rig to the end. As far as panfish are concerned, I like to use a deadstick approach or a small bobber. The bobber should barely stay above the water so that even the lightest strike will take it down. You don't want any resistence. When deadsticking, I like to use a noodle rod (a very flimsy rod) and I set the rod in a rod holder and watch the tip of the rod for an indication of a bite. There are numerous methods that you can use, these are just a few. I have seen tip-ups used for panfish in the past, just use the typical line that you use for your jigging rods and set the resistence on the tip-up a little lighter. Sometimes panfish like a stationary bait and the tip-up might even out produce your jig rod.

Good Fishin, Matt.