• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dogs feet cut up from snow

ctuma

What kind of booties were you using? For my dogs, I use a nylon cordura with something called Velstretch. It's an elastic velcro. Got to put them on pretty snug so they don't get thrown off. If admin. will let me, I can post an address as to where I get my booties.

Anyone ever tried a good preseason conditioning program? Most of your foot problems can be prevented with a few weeks of running the dog before hitting the bird field. A guy shouldn't think that a dog that runs around on hardwood and carpet is going to have tough enough pads to fair well in snow and ice. I think the only time I would use booties would be in a cactus prevalent area. Otherwise I never have any problems with a little work before hand.

CW

I don't think its a conditioning problem. I worked him very hard before hunting season and hunted almost every day in November. He is a 11 month old Pudelpointer and I think its all the hair between his feet that is the problem. The snow just sticks between his toes and freezes. It then rubs his toes raw. I think next season I will cut the hair down and see what happens.