• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great day fishin in Ma.

Well I had the best ice fishin day ever on Sunday. Got there at 9:00 and some guys were in my favorite spot. I setup near them and I must have caught 15 yellow perch by noontime but no big fish yet. The other guys were leaving around 12:30 and I got a real nice pickerel. 24 inches long around 3 1/2 pounds. I moved two of my traps over to some holes that I knew were good for bass. I kept getting more perch and then I got another nice pick, over 20 inches and a good fight. At 2:00 I got a flag at one of the traps in my bass holes, a real nice fighting 16 inch large mouth bass around 2 3/4 pounds.
A little later I got another nice pick. I was thinking of leaving cause my legs were getting tired from running for all the flags when I got another LM Bass. Smaller around 11 inches. Started pounding down beers and my legs felt better so I stayed longer. Got some more perch then I got another LM Bass, this one gave a real good fight. He was 17 inches about 3 lbs. It was the best day. In total I got 3 LM Bass, 3 Big Picks, and at least 25 yellow perch. Over 30 fish in one day...Planning to go next Saturday and get that 17 inch bass's big brother... Should be over a foot of ice by next weekend. Had 8 inches of ice on Sunday. Shinners are up to $5.00 a dozen now. (OUCH) How much are they out there?

Wishin2BFishin

I am in favor of "Catch and Release" however I did keep the 24 inch Pickerel to try once again to cook one up. The last time I tried a Pick it had so many bones that I could not eat it. I guess I just don't know how to clean it properly? I also kept one of the yellow perch cause it died when I caught it. I was going to leave it for the Gulls but brought it home to try as well. I've never had much luck eating freshwater fish. They have too many bones or they end up tasting like the pond. I've had good luck with trout though. Last time I got trout I smoked them for 2 1/2 hours with some green pear branches and they were great!