• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Historical Homestead from Sunday.

Paul

On Sunday, I visited the historical homestead of my Grand Pa and his brother when they came here from Norway in the late 1800's. This spot is near the Lac Qui Parle State Park in SW MN. in the 30's during the WPA projects, the Government paid to move the house and original farmsite buildings to a location up the hill to make way for the state park and flood controll projects.

Images taken with Canon XTi, 17-85 IS USM, with Circlular Polarizer and horible light conditions. A little piece of personal history to go with it, I shot my first buck a small 6 pointer about 15 yards from this spot with a 20gauge shotgun.

OldFarmSiteatLacQuiParlecopy.jpg

oldfarmsite2.jpg

oldfarm3.jpg

Paul, the light might have been bad, but this is easily the best work I've seen from you on FM so far.

I like that this series moves from wide to tight compositions, and I'd have liked to see a couple more even tighter images.

Truly, when we are emotionally invested in a scene, we produce our best photography. The trick is to dig up that emotion when photographing scenes we've never experienced before. Then, art happens.

Here, IMO, art has happened as well. These images may not appeal to any Tom, Jane or Dick, but for people who have a direct connection to this site, or a site like it, the images will speak loud.

I have several clients who have commissioned me to photograph sites like this full of family history. Within such contracts, sheer art is less important than fulfilling an emotional connection between memory and the present.

Stev, Thank you very much for your kind comments, I am very humbled. I will post another pic of a Fort Renville that is the same type of picture. will get to that later on tonight or tommorow.