• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Set-up for walleye?

I plan on going fishing for walleye up at lake of the woods next weekend. How should I set up my rods and tip ups for walleye. ?# test on the rods, Tips ups, or any tips I can get for this lake would be great. I have heard that the water is stained and to use a flashy lure or something that will glow. Again any info that might make our trip more of a succes would greatly be appreciated. We plan to go off Wheelers point from one of lodges in the area, and our bringing my fishouse that we are going to stay in for the weekend.

get a jigging spoon or 2 (angel eyes, glow devils) and a dead stick rod. colored plain hooks. stick with 6-8# test because you may need it if you hook into something monsterous. really those are about all you need. i have done good on just gold jigheads also on the jigging rod.
tip-ups maybe bring one up, but with only 2 lines to fish you might as well use the dead stick it will work better.

[This message has been edited by pig_sticka (edited 01-09-2003).]

When i started fishing lakers through the ice about 15 years ago. An old timer told me you could use any color you wanted as long as it's white. lol

As far as LOW goes, I think the same may hold true, you can use any color as long as it's gold!! lol.

just kidding of course, but gold rocks!!

For Tip ups: Try using a perch or any other type of minnow on a 3-4 foot leader off of your main line. When the you have a hit and the flag goes up, wait a good while for it to go, Eyes cant down a minnow as fast as pike can.. Good Luck, hope this helps

I have had my best luck on the LOW with a standard leadhead jig painted glow green with a red eye. I out fished the guys who were using the old gold jigs so I think thats the way to go. I used smaller minnows than most people did and did well with that to. You might try a few albino minnows as well, it seemed the few they gave us with the others went really fast. What you heard about the water being stained is true so anything that helps them see your bait is good. As for the fishing pole, I would go with 6# on one and 8# on another, putting a attractor lure on the one with the heavy line in case a northern comes in. Good luck and let us know how you did. smile.gif ><>
deadeye

[This message has been edited by deadeye (edited 01-12-2003).]

I don't fish LOW very much, maybe a couple times a year. Last Feb. my wife, her son and his girlfriend and I rented a house for the day out of Bayview Lodge. This fishng was tough, I think we caugh 20 and brought home 12. My wife **** near caught all the fish using a #6 glow in the dark gamakatsu hook with a glow bead above it, with a shiner, on a bobber. I managed to catch a few using a northland buckshot rattle spoon with a shiner head on it. I've got a question. What's yer opinions on glow in the dark vs. non glow in the dark and what time of day for either? Oh yeah, is gold really that good, especially in the lower light conditions?

Thanks, Brian

Glow works well on nite bites for obvious reasons, but there is no night walleye bite on L.O.W.

Glow also works well on stained water, which L.O.W. is.

Yes, gold seems to work well. And for some reason, some colors seem to consistently outproduce others on certain lakes but don't do well on other lakes. Go figure. Could be the different water clarity, mix of baitfish, etc, make those things different on different lakes.

But once something is designated the "hot" color, so many people start using it that most of the fish are caught on that color, adding strength to the idea that you gotta use the "hot" color on a lake. So bring gold, but bring glow and silver and other colors too. Even if gold is the standard good color on L.O.W., there will be days that others outproduce it.

FYI: It's illegal to use sport fish as bait fish in Minnesota. Since perch are a regulated game species, they are forbidden as bait. It's different in different states. In Wisconsin, regs say I can use a sport fish as bait so long as it's of legal keeper size for that species on that water, and that I include it in my bag limit.