• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold Front Fishing??

Was out tonight and the walleyes had the old feed bag on. Just hammered plain red hooks and fatheads. I would have thought it was early ice. Usually when that happens for me they shut down for a few days. But every lake is different. A lake short on forage the eyes will feed more often. If you got a warm house cant go wrong being out on the ice....

My personal experience on one particular lake is the fishng picks up. I have gotten lazy over the years and fish one lake to much to speak about other bodies of water.
I did however fish a different lake this past weekend. Drive by it every weekend going up north. finally hit it. Did ok on crappies. But nice ones. I look in the bellies of fish to see whats been for dinner. These fish had red, almost dark blood color worms in their stomaches. Looked to be a high protien food.
I think warm weather actually slows fishing because it creates a bloom situation for food sources to come out of the bottom of the lake. The fish are still feeding but have a source of massive food to eat.
I think the cold weather slows it down and the fish again find less food. So your teeny tiny offering now becomes more important to the fish.
I am speaking crappies. And, mabey I think to much. I don't know much about any other fish. If I did, I would have the nick name...... multi speicies Todd........ Rather than crappie todd.
I'll hang up and listen.
CT

It's been my experience that fishing always picks up as a major air pressure change is happening. Once the high pressure really sets in, and the ice is booming, everything seems to slow to a crawl and the fish get negative. But it really does differ from lake to lake. I fished the last cold front a couple of weeks ago on three different lakes. One was absolutely dead, one (Ottertail) was so/so and the third was also so/so. It's a good time to test your skills and learn what it takes to catch fish that really aren't on the feed........T

Cold fronts and high pressure are tough.
Downsize on bait,go to lightest line that you can get away with and use subtle presentations.Move deeper and try to locate the less negative fish.My opinion is that even under the worst cold front conditions,there is an area and depth that the fish can be triggered to bite.The next most important thing to remember is to pack a big bag of tenacity and patience along with your lunch in order to figure out what the fish want.

Good Fishing Guys!!