• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Fishing Strategy - Survey

We were out last week and got into the little eyes at a metro lake (I mean little the 10-12" variety... That is all that we ended up catching and seeing on the camera that day for walleyes.

Survey: If you are in a situation where you are catching small walleyes (below 14-15"), what do you do?

1. Move locations... reasoning that the bigger ones are elsewhere (i.e. deeper).

or do you...

2. Stick it out at that location... reasoning that where there are little ones there are big ones.... stick it out and hope your luck changes...

My answer to the survey is mixed...

If I'm fishing a walleye tourney, I'll move after a couple little guys... Time is limited and I haven't had luck with larger fish in those areas in the past... But then again, I've never done well in these tourneys either... LOL..

If I'm ice fishing, I stick with it and enjoy the show.. Although it has never paid off for me to stick with it as of yet for larger fish...

What about everyone else??

I have been plagued by "Smalleyes" from time to time. What you experienced was a real strong year class in that lake. Like someone else said, the bigger ones usually show up sometime. Sometimes, they do not. The smaller fish are usually more ravenous and go after the bait pretty quick while the bigger ones study it longer. Could be just that the little guys are beating the bigs to the bait too. I'd stick it out if I were you.......One time a few winters back, I caught a seven incher followed by a 29.5 incher.......go figure......T