• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Do Ya Think?????

I am having some computer difficulty so I reposted this as I am not sure my first one made it.
I have fished in a few tournaments mainly for Walleye and Crappie and enjoy them very much. One of the small local tournaments I fish is in Nestor Falls and I think they have one of the best methods for running the tournament I have seen. As we all know, most tournaments are won by the "biggest", "most" or both. At the tournament in Nestor Falls, which is a multi-species tournament, they go by a certain measurement for each species. The night before the tournament begins they draw a number which represents the specified length for each speices. The person bringing in the fish closest to that designated length wins. They give usually give prizes for the top three in each category. I really believe this method encourages more participation, reduces the amount of fish taken from a certain body of water because you don't need to catch a limit to win, dramatically reduces mortatility and the possibility of "cheating". I know there are those who would argue that this is more luck than skill which is why some people like to enter tournaments. No problem, some tournaments should be for professionals and the skillful. Even with this method, the most skillful may have an edge, as the more fish they catch the better their odds are for catching the "winning" length. I really think a lot of tournaments are geared toward the enjoyment part of fishing and this method targets the enjoyment more than trying to catch the heaviest amount of a certain species. I know of many who just do not participate in tournaments because they are novices and don't feel they have a chance at winning. I have never run a tournament so there may be some issues that I am not aware of that make this type of tournament impractical, but I am interested in the discussion. It might be worth a try!
See Ya on the Hard Water!!!