• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda 50 loads up when trolling

snowfighter

Have 2000 Honda 50 have changed plugs, fuel filter,remove in boat fuel tank and cleaned, had carbs reset, but when you troll for 1/2 to 3/4 of a hour it will start to run alittle ruff and you have to keep playing with the trottle. Then when you go to take off after you start up to plane it will shake and miss for a bit and then work through it and run prefect on top speed. How ever I noticed the last time out if I put in neutral and speed up for a minute or so after trolling and take off it goes up to plane and top speed smooth as can be, so it seems to be loading up when trolling. Any thoughts on what to check?

How is the compression? Does that engine have a thermostat? Try running some seafoam or something similar in the fuel and see if that makes a difference. Has it always done this or is this a recent problem? Could the low speed be leaned out? Try trolling and then shut down engine and pull the plugs and compare them. They should be nice and tan or at least look the same. If one is darker then that carb needs to be leaned out a wee bit or the other needs to be richened up. Is there a vacum leak somewhere? Just some things to check. Let me know.

ODL

Don't know about compression.There is a hot buzzer and lite if running hot. Have always run sea foam and premium gas in it and sta-bile for storage. When I changed the plugs they all looked tan. I reset the carbs to specs from a Honda site, 2 1/8 turns out and then one at a time set back 1/2 turn at a time until motor started running ruff then back out 1/4 turn. As far as vaccum I don't have any thing to test with. This all started early summer before that it run ok. I have set the idle down wondering if its to slow don't know what the rpms should be. Any chance it could be a coil or would it show up at high speed to.

You might have turned the idle down too far. That'll cause it to load up, thats if its loading up. You have to determine that. If it is loading up you can go back and fine tune that low speed again.

Something else that could be going on with that slow idle is maybe, just maybe the fuel pump isn't putting out enough pressure and your running lean. Next time it acts up squeeze the primer bulb up and see if it helps.

I tryed the bulb pumping, didn't help, I had a 60 merc sometime back that did that.I set the idle up some and reset the carbs but haven't been back out yet to try, Rain, rain ,rain. Seems to be loading,as I stated above if you fast idle in neutral before going it won't do it. One time when it satrted to shutter when going up to plane I pulled the choke some to see if it was starven for gas it shut ride down.Will try some of the suggestion from above.

Try changing the thermostat. It may not be closing and running cool at low speed. If the engine is running cool it could load up. to test for vacum leaks spray a little wd 40 around the base of the carbs and listen for a change in rpm's also make sure no vacume lines are off. also check the condition of all rubber lines to make sure that they are not cracked. The gas nowadays is very hard on rubber lines.