• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shot placement ?

Wensel

Ok, I have a new set out, 25 feet of the ground on the side of a steep hill. My shot will be only 18 yards away from the base of my tree but it will be a 45 foot drop, givin the height of my stand and the terrain? How do you aim??? tongue.gif

I keep both eyes open, look through the peep and align it with my desired pin. tongue.gif

Any possibility you could move the stand down about 15 feet? Then you'd be in a much better position to take a better shot. 45 feet...man...My toes would be tingling and I think my nose might bleed... You're over 4 stories up...

I'd really hate it if there was any sort of wind...

Steve

One of my best spots that I hunt is exactly like this. The tree that I sit in is at the top of a ridge and the main trail is at the bottom about 20 yards from the base of my tree. The first two deer that I shot at in this stand location went under the chest as I sat in disbelief. I tried to go lower in the tree but then when the deer looked up the ridge I got busted. I found that I needed to aim high on the chest and now I shot at least one a year out of that tree.Best of luck. Dale

I really believe that if you are taking a shot at that steep of an angle you will have a very iffy shot at best. Many times archers cannot adjust or guess at where they need to place their pin. I would really look for another spot where one can get a better, more high percentage shot and not have to be real concerned about crippling the deer.

Not to pick apart anyones choice of shot but, when one is shooting at that steep of an angle, one is only guessing where to place the pin. This is a true recipe for disaster and a wounded deer.

Why not find a stand location where one does not have to take the chance of a crippled deer?? Very few archers are so good that they can make this shot with a good chance of hitting the kill zone.

I agree with HL, You should find another spot if you can but if you can not you should practice that shot. I forgot to tell you that in my reply. I have spent a lot of time practicing that shot. One of the biggest problems that people have on a shot like this is bending at the waist.

If I could figure out how to post pictures on this thing I would show you a buck that was shot out of this stand by my hunting partner on opener.

Wensel, is there a way you could practice shooting from this stand? If you brought a deer target out to your spot, maybe in the middle of the day, then you could practice from your actual stand. That would be the most reliable way of figuring out where to aim.