• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Props: 3 Blades vs. 4 or 5 Blades???

S.D. Ice Angular

What are the pluses and minuses??

I have a 2007 YAHAMA, F115 Outboard

What are your thoughts on the different blade props????????????????

I have been looking for a new / (Spare) propeller, I currently have the YAHAMA “Stock” 3 blade aluminum 13 Inch / 19 Pitch propeller.

For what I have read I want a stainless steel prop, and I do not intend to use it on the chain in low water any further.

It has gotten pretty dinged up going through the channels on the Alex Chain this year with the lower water levels.

Valv is right-on. If you have troubles keeping an aluminum prop from becoming nicked or bent up, due to the lakes you frequent, do not go with a steel prop. The steel props don't give like aluminum. You'll likely wreck something in the lower unit. The tradeoff from a 3 blade to 4 or 5 blade prop is efficiency versus smoothness. The lesser amount of blades is always more efficient, the more blades are always smoother. 3 blades is about the best compromise.

Fewer blades equals more speed, more vibration, less holeshot, less throttle control and response in big waves.

More blades equals less speed, less vibration, more holeshot, and more control in waves.

Many other factors come into play too, including prop pitch and diameter, and blade shape and design. You really need to test specific props on your boat in normal running conditions to see which works best for you.

To piggy-back off of what has already been said, another thing to consider is the boat itself and what kind of performance you are looking for.

No matter what you choose, there will always be a trade off of some sort. More blades usually means going to a lower pitch prop and loss of speed. As was mentioned, hole shot goes up, though.. (trade off). Handling will be much better with 4 blades too.

What I will disagree with (depending on the situation going through channels as was mentioned) is are the dings coming from hitting rocks or just blunting over from running through sand and pebbles? If the prop is just getting blunted and the fin edges are getting dinged, a steel prop would be the way to go....reason? Durability!! Steel is much more durable than aluminum, so the leading edges will go through. You might get a small little ding here and there, but it will be nowhere as big as with aluminum.

Many people choose a 3 blade prop because it is a good "balance" so to speak for efficiency and handling. A good steel prop would allow you to move your motor up off the transom some too, which would give you a more efficient rig overall with less of the lower unit in the water at speed. Lots of variables to play with too..

I run a 90 yamaha with a 17 pitch ballistic and have been quite happy with the results. My motor is as high as it can go on the boat, and handling has not suffered at all.

Good luck

Steve