• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pee in crate

R. Miller

My 10 week old ryman english setter has peed in his crate the last 2 mornings between 7:30 and noon. Now, I've have him a little over two weeks, and he has not done that until now. I'm definitely limiting his water intake in the mornings-he only gets what is mixed in with is puppy food. I know how small their bladders are at this age, so I don't think it's anything to be too worried about. Just trying not to make it a habit It's just that the crate is usually their "safe" place that they like to keep clean. I tried dividing the crate in half to make it smaller. Maybe it's not small enough? It's probably all part of potty training. Any other experiences like this?

You are on the right track. Puppies require a lot of time and patience. If you can, bring the little guy out more frequently until he can hold it longer. Hang in there. It will get better.

Along with what JDM mentioned, I do think you could make the crate smaller depending on the size. I usually leave just enough space for them to lay down and still be comfortable. Any additional space just gives them an area to get away from the mess. They usually wont do it if they have to sit/lay in their own mess.

One other thing...if you put a towel or something in there that will just soak up the pee, so I usually don't do that either if I see they are having issues. Just more of a reason for them to go and not worry about it.